mini35 with EX-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Trustee

mini35 with EX-1?

Can you get good results with a mini35 and a Sony Ex-1. ?

Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think you will. Their EX1 kit is now done. P+S would be unlikely to turn it loose until they were satisfied with it to their standards.

You would need to make sure you select the camcorder image stabilisation off as the frame walks about quite a bit with it on. You otherwise may pick up a corner vignette as you have to zoom in more than with the Letus Extreme.

I understand that the Mini35 kit for EX1 uses the 7.2v Sony NP--- series batteries rather than the EX1 battery. This is likely because the common standard across most MiniDV and HDV cams the Mini35 is intended to complement, is to use 7.2v lithium battery packs.

I have a test posted on YouTube of a hack I did before the genuine EX1 release, with a JVC version and some optics I had used on a home made AGUS35 adaptor. This clip was shot with the groundglass motor not operating as I did not have a JVC battery to run it.

The clip includes a sideways walk past the weeds to see how bad the rolling shutter is supposed to be. Whatever artifact there may be, I could live with it quite happily. I found the camera is amazing and that was via the firewire capture route which is not the full potential of the EX1. Alas, I have to wait for the cargo plane to come home and bring a good thing for the people before I can afford one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpm72LpoV0k

This clip should not be taken as representative of the image quality to be obtained from this combination as a non-genuine relay optic was used. The P+S relay optic is superior.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 10th, 2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #3
Wrangler

Not the Mini35, but I shot this with the Redrock and a pre-release version of the EX1 and was quite happy with the results.

http://web.mac.com/chupap/Films/tablemanners.html
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
DVi Contributor

we recieved one of the first 4 units shipped to the states. We sent it back because it doesn't properly cover the full frame. It was not acceptable for us to keep as a rental item. - you could push in on the zoom to compensate, however the point of the adapter is to have the same DOF and Focal plane- We are hoping the unit that will be coming out for the EX-3 will be better.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Craig.

I'm curious because I am a bit of a hacker (not a geek) and modded a Mini35 for the JVC GY-HD100 to fit the EX1 before the genuine item was released.

In reference to "doesn't properly cover the full frame" :-

Were you compelled to zoom in furthur because of any offset of the frame centre causing the available image area to become smaller?

Were you dissatisfied with the available image area off the groundglass being the standard movie frame size versus the larger area some other alternative adaptors offer?

I found the Mini35 when fitted to the EX1 of comparable utility and behaviour to the version for the Z1, so I am anxious of possibly having given bad advice if there are deficiencies that I did not spot.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 18th, 2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added text
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Furthur to above, has anyone else any experience with the EX1 Mini35 kit. We have two Mini35s here in W.A. and there are a quite a few EX1s, therefore examining the worth or not of enabling the existing Mini35's for the EX1.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Chartier View Post
we recieved one of the first 4 units shipped to the states. We sent it back because it doesn't properly cover the full frame. It was not acceptable for us to keep as a rental item. - you could push in on the zoom to compensate, however the point of the adapter is to have the same DOF and Focal plane- We are hoping the unit that will be coming out for the EX-3 will be better.
I also don't understand what you mean by " it doesn't properly cover the full frame" and the problem with zooming in to compensate. That's how 35mm adapters work and as long as you zoom in just enough to lose the vignette you should be at the right field of view for that particular lens. What is the problem? Unless I totally misunderstood you?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods