Brevis or Letus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Brevis or Letus

If I had to pick a 35mm adapter which would be the best one for my XH A1? The Brevis35 MP.1 or Letus Extreme - I shoot mainly weddings but I have a couple of music videos and commercials coming along. What are the pros and cons (light loss, rotating/vibrating, price)?

Thanking everyone in advance
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Funny you ask, because I have a question similar to yours....like I was filling a glass with water the other day and couldn't tell whether or not it was half full or half empty.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Both the Brevis and Letus systems have used a vibrating groundglass as I understand things, however the newer Letus Ultimate is a spinning groundglass disk system and users of early prototypes report being well pleased with it.

Hopefully the vendors will post here and correct any errors in my comments.

Any adaptor is going to offer challenges in the low-light wedding environment.

The Letus Extreme and Ultimate are about as good in low light as adaptors get.

The Brevis is the only adaptor of any which offers a choice of diffusers which can be swapped out. This enables differing levels of light transmission as a by-product of the choices of bokeh effect the diffusers provide. (Diffuser = Groundglass). I understand that its brightest diffuser equals the Letus for light transmission. Best light performer is a claim by the manufacturer for it and there have been favourable user reports posted.

The SGPro and Redrock M2 are spinning disk systems which can perform better in adverse outdoors high contrast lighting conditions and may tolerate higher shutter speeds before artifacts become apparent.

Live music gigs are generally mood lit, ususally dark and also offer severe challenges for users of adaptors.

Adaptors add bulk and weight to camera systems and are not as amenable to agile work in confined spaces.

Look back through the older posts. I have a very vague recollection that there may be a relay field-of-view issue with the XH-A1 and all groundglass adaptors but I could be wrong. It may have been another camcorder type.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 29th, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Prashanna, search the wedding section of this forum for posts by Patrick Moreau or Jason Magbanua. Both are on EventDV's list of 25 most influential shooters, and both use the Brevis 35 MP.1. Light efficiency is everything when you're not toting along your own lights :-)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods