Roiding The Extreme - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Some grabs from a bit of a hike today

After about a 45 year hiatus, I revisited a childhood haunt, the gully above the old orchard where I spent the first ten years of my life and went looking for the old pipehead my grandfather and father put in all those years ago.

This was in the days when the creek was permanent, people respected riparian rights and used pipeheads only to extract water.

Then the growers upstream put in huge dams, cleared the tii-tree swamps. the water stopped and that fixed us right up. The creek is now seasonal, dries up in summer, is flashy in winter.

The creek exacted its payback in 1991 when exceptional rains, cleared lands and urban street drainage sent a noahflood down which took out two bridges and rumour has it, one of the dams.

I found it almost unrecognisable, the bayonet grass has entirely disappeared, the course is all grown over with introduced bamboo, bridal creeper, watsonias and waitawhile vine - thorny blackberries, big alluvium builds through the bamboo and deep scours elsewhere.

I went up to have a look while the winter flow remains so that it was closer to my memories of it. Our one mile pipeline is still there but the pipehead and the first 50 metres of pipe is gone and the heavy bits and pieces are about 50 yards down the watercourse from when the flood and all the rocks and debris came down.

I shot with the EX1 and Extreme. I am too old and jointsore to take a big kit so made do with a light Miller DS10 and two lenses, 58mm f1.2 Nikon and 14mm f2.8 Sigma for Nikon.

Relay zoom position was 40mm. I gave the assembly an accidental clout on a rock as I scrambled about and knocked the centering off a fraction so there is an edge brightness falloff on the 14mm shots.

Conditions were late winter afternoon, clear overhead sky, deep canopy in deep gully.
Attached Thumbnails
Roiding The Extreme-stony-gully-retro-01.jpg   Roiding The Extreme-stony-gully-retro-02.jpg  

Roiding The Extreme-stony-gully-retro-03.jpg   Roiding The Extreme-stony-gully-retro-04.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 28th, 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:46 AM   #47
Inner Circle

A couple more frames from the creek.

Local wildflower related to bacon-and-egg-plant and remains of the pipehead washed down falls into the scourhole. About 50metres of the pipline was carried away and disappeared.

Being brittle cement pipe, it probably broke up into fragments among the debris going over the falls and may be well downstream by now in the bamboo thickets.

Sigma-for-Nikon f2.8 14mm was used on both frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Roiding The Extreme-stony-gully-retro-05.jpg   Roiding The Extreme-stony-gully-retro-06.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 31st, 2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added text
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Here are a couple of pics of the Letus Extreme-on-SI2K hack with the EX1 achromat.

I found I achieved much less edge brightness falloff when space was added between the front of the prime lens and the achromat. Best seems to be 79mm, measured from rear of flip enclosure on the Letus to front of IMS ring on the SI2K for the Nikon 45mm f2.8 lens used as relay. In this illustration the Nikon 50mm f1.4 is fitted.

There is a compromise between falloff and loss of corner sharpness when adding distance.

For relay, the 45mm Nikon seems to be the best. Voigtlander 40mm f2 and Nikon 50mm f1.4 exhibited a little more corner softness.

The shoulder on the brass ring is a bit short. It should butt against the rear of the flip enclosure. The material is expensive so I used what I had left over which was a bit short.
Attached Thumbnails
Roiding The Extreme-letus-si2k.jpg   Roiding The Extreme-letus-si2k-02.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 2nd, 2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added text
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Short film in production.

Sorry. Can't give you the worktitle for the present as it is not my project. Whilst the clip is publicly accessible, the information I am privy to is not yet. My recall is that this scene was a flashback. Warning for the sensitive and underage - this is a criminal "hit" scene with gunfire and spatter FX..

Subsequent footage for another scene was shot on a Canon 7D with the same and another similar Nikon lens kit.

Lens kit on the day from recollection :-

Nikon 14mm f2.8
Nikon 25mm f2.8
Nikon 50mm f1.4
Nikon 85mm f1.8
Nikon 105mm f1.8
Sigmatel-for-Nikon 135mm f1.8

Conditions on the day were hostile for adaptor use being intermittent light to medium bright overcast.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 11th, 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added URL
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Budget Film-making West Aussie style

I found this happy snap related to a fun action shoot from about two years ago on the facebook.

They are a bunch of young film-makers who are developing an action style and honing their skills and their stuff is looking pretty slick now.
Attached Thumbnails
Roiding The Extreme-budget-film-making.jpg  
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Re: Roiding The Extreme

Here's a bit of EX1/Letus Extreme footage I shot for a family history project and began to put together untl the editing computer gave up. It is the vision the stills furthur back in this page were extracted from.

STONY GULLY RETRO PT.1. - YouTube
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Re: Roiding The Extreme

To enable someone to have an idea of how some old Taylor, Taylor and Hobson Speed Panchro Series II lenses looked, the only tools I had were the EX1 and Letus Extreme, so I hooked them onto that and shot a test card. the lenses were 50mm and 75mm.

These are early 1950s lenses and damaged ones at that due to fungus from tropical storage. Despite that, they are still not bad but flary, the 75mm more so due to front surface scratches from cleaning. They throw images with no soft corners and the lines are straight. The lenses are physically small compared to stills primes but throw a wide image. The frame grabs are not the best. They are a bit pixellated.
Attached Thumbnails
Roiding The Extreme-taylor-lens-50mm.jpg   Roiding The Extreme-taylor-lens-75mm.jpg  

Roiding The Extreme-taylor-lens-75mm02.jpg   Roiding The Extreme-taylor-lens-75mm03.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 1st, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods