UV Filter on a Zeiss With Letus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

UV Filter on a Zeiss With Letus

My Zeiss lens (50mm/F1.4) finally arrived today and excuse the noobiness but I'm new to the 35mm adapter world and lenses.

I had a UV filter on my XH-A1 before and was wondering if it's a good idea to stick it on the Zeiss, or could this possibly detract from the quality the Zeiss will give me?

I suspect it won't and would be happier in the knowledge it's protected. That said, I was a little surprised at the light loss (I know it compares well to other adapters, but I've no experience of them) and my main concern is to get the best out of the Letus.

Thanks.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you have it, you may as well use it. You need to whitebalance manually but this is best practice in any event.

There will be circumstances where intense sources of light just out of the frame may cause internal reflections but you will also get those with unprotected lenses anyway.

Another issue may emerge if you mount a mattebox and external glass filters on front. Then you may want to remove the UV filter from the lens.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers Bob, I really hope Letus are paying you for the services you provide on this forum.

I've read lots of your posts (I'm talking about other posts here) and you never fail to make the technical sound straightforward with your thorough, down-to-earth advice.

For me, you've filled a lot of the gaps that Letus should really should be filling themselves via their website. The Bob Hart User Guide should accompany the basic instructions you receive with the Letus.
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Just remember that not all filters are created equally!
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Through all my research, it seems that the 50mm 1.4 is the best all around lens when shooting with the Letus, especially if it is your only lens, yes?
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stakes View Post
Through all my research, it seems that the 50mm 1.4 is the best all around lens when shooting with the Letus, especially if it is your only lens, yes?
Well John, If it's your only lens, then yes, it would be your best all around lens choice!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods