Letus35 Extreme or Ultimate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Letus35 Extreme or Ultimate

Having recently purchased a Sony PMW-EX3 I am seriously looking at the Letus35 Extreme or Ultimate. I do have a standard adaptor to fit my range of Nikon’s to the EX Mount but I am certain that the quality will be vastly improved using a Letus adaptor.

However, will I see any significant difference between the Extreme and the Ultimate, other than the considerably lightness of my wallet?

If anyone is using either of the Letus adaptors I’d be grateful for you opinion.

Happy shooting,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Paul:

I am curious about this too, but I think one big difference is that Ultimate may have spinning ground glass, rather than vibrating. My guess is that with the new cmos camera's, Letus has seen some issues with compatibility with rolling shutter effects, and the vibrating type adapters. I have fooled with my little HV20 which is cmos and noticed that it is fairly easy to induce a jello/wobble effect in the image depending on shutter speed, and vibration frequency.
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Chris.

Around aircraft and using an EX1/Letus Extreme, I found choosing the "shutter-off" option worked best for me. Beyond the normal artifacts to be expected with hostile lighting and lens settings, I did not observe anything different.

In those circumstances, say f6.3 with a zoom I use for aircraft, where a "just-emerging" grain pattern exists, I observe that the codec seems to toss detail away before "rolling shutter" sticks its head up. I am not a gymnast when it comes to camera movements so I am likely not pushing the limits.

When focussed on a Siemens star with the star centred in one half of frame, slowly pan and stop a few times and watch the sharpness melt away during the moves as the codec plays its game. This effect does not appear to be amplified by the camera looking through a groundless.

I have become conditioned to avoid savage moves because of the limitations of converting interlace to progressive with Z1 footage and previously using a film camera long ago.

Slightly off-topic, the "ringing" artifact associated with too high a detail setting on some cameras, I actually observed with film from an old Bolex H16 with a 22mm lens, when slowly panning across shiny rail lines to another rail line, crossing by an overpass bridge.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods