Redrock Micro 35 mm adapter thoughts?? Good? Bad??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Redrock Micro 35 mm adapter thoughts?? Good? Bad???

I'm in the market for a 35mm adapter. I wanted to get people's thoughts on Redrock Micro's 35mm adapter. Are you happy with it? Any issues? Quality? Customer support performance? Thanks.
Pasha Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Looks like no one has responded. Here's a small mouthful in the meantime before someone who knows what he is talking about comes along.

I can neither endorse nor dis-endorse the M2 as I have never had my grubby hands on one.

What I know of it is that the foundation adaptor was discussed and could be said to have evolved right here at dvinfo, then the maker decided to market the adaptor, refined it, founded a company and started another website.

I understand that the M2 uses a spinning disk like the SGPro. Most early adaptors built as alternatives to the P+S Technik Mini35-400 were disk designs.

A disk has advantages and is slightly more forgiving of adverse lighting and higher shutter speeds but I would not recommend running shutter speeds higher than 1/100th sec on any camera carrying a 35mm adaptor.

The M2 as far as I know remains a non-flip device. Brian Valente hopefully can enlighten me on this. Non-flip devices can yield a purer image - fewer bits of glass for it to go through. Some cameras have electronic image flipping, significantly the JVC GY-HD250. P+S Technik re-engineered their Mini35 as the "compact" and eliminated the hybrid prism/mirror flip path to enable better light performance on these cameras.

The software company Cineform added a "flip" feature to its AspectHD application which converts HDV camera transport streams into computer files for editing.

The Letus flip module can be purchased separately and added to the M2. Likely you would have to buy in another achromatic dioptre because the optical distance between groundglass and camera is increased by a flip path. Some basic home engineering skills and equipment might be needed to for you to make the adaptation.

I don't know if the product has matured through any furthur generations since the original. I have not researched it - laziness on my part.

A feature movie which apparently achieved theatrical exhibition was made with the HVX200 and the Redrock M2. It was "Sarah Landon And The Paranormal Hour". The website might still be alive. There was a trailer there. You may be able to make the judgement for yourself. It may have gone to DVD by now.

Most 35mm adaptors require some finesse in setting them up and meticulous attention to sharp focus when operating them. Some time back, there were posts here suggesting the Redrock M2 was a little more difficult to install and set up but once set up properly, accounts about the image yield were mostly complimentary and favourable.

Redrock sell a follow-focus and other accessories like bridgeplate and rods, also mattebox I think.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 17th, 2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Major Player

First let me say that I don't own an M2. However, I have a DIY mid-format (spinning glass disk) adapter and have purchased the SGBlade which should be delivered in a couple of weeks. That said, I have followed many discussions regard the M2 and other adapters on this and another forum.

Just to add to Bob's comments, the M2 does now have a flip module available called the MicroX.

Also, as far as current versions, they did release a new GG Disk recently that offers less light loss.

I'm guessing your interest in the M2 may be partially fueled by the fact that they are 50% off at the moment. There have been rumors leaked (intentionally) that they are coming out with a new adapter that performs better. The fact that the adapters went on the 50% sale about the same time the rumor was leaked adds some credibilty to that rumor.

I have read comments, as Bob mentioned, that some feel getting the M2 set up correctly can be a challenge. Other than that, most comments about the resultant image quality have been favorable.

One of the reasons I didn't consider the M2 was it's size. My DIY adapter is also large and bulky. I wanted the spinning disk advantages but not the bulk. That's one of the reasons I chose the SGBlade. The Letus ultimate was another option but it costs more than my camera. I would suggest you shop arround a little more and/or wait to see if a new version of the M2 is released unless you need the adapter now.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
First let me say that I don't own an M2. However, I have a DIY mid-format (spinning glass disk) adapter and have purchased the SGBlade which should be delivered in a couple of weeks. That said, I have followed many discussions regard the M2 and other adapters on this and another forum.

Just to add to Bob's comments, the M2 does now have a flip module available called the MicroX.

Also, as far as current versions, they did release a new GG Disk recently that offers less light loss.

I'm guessing your interest in the M2 may be partially fueled by the fact that they are 50% off at the moment. There have been rumors leaked (intentionally) that they are coming out with a new adapter that performs better. The fact that the adapters went on the 50% sale about the same time the rumor was leaked adds some credibilty to that rumor.

I have read comments, as Bob mentioned, that some feel getting the M2 set up correctly can be a challenge. Other than that, most comments about the resultant image quality have been favorable.

One of the reasons I didn't consider the M2 was it's size. My DIY adapter is also large and bulky. I wanted the spinning disk advantages but not the bulk. That's one of the reasons I chose the SGBlade. The Letus ultimate was another option but it costs more than my camera. I would suggest you shop arround a little more and/or wait to see if a new version of the M2 is released unless you need the adapter now.

Thanks. If they are coming out with a new version, I might as well wait. So far I have heard mixed reviews of the current one.
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Redrock Micro just posted in another forum that there will be an announcement at the end of January.
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Despite the continuing improvements in these adapters, they never will get to the ease of setting up a shot without an adapter. Double foucusing, adjusting of back focus, vibration and spin speed, loss of light, and noise all make these adapters difficult to to deal with.

With Scarlet coming, and with Canon's new 35mm rig showing the real promise of the future, I'm betting Redrock and Letus are going to have to diversify in the next year into follow focus type support features in order to survive. Either that, or they are going to have to get more realistic in their pricing.
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Despite the continuing improvements in these adapters, they never will get to the ease of setting up a shot without an adapter. Double foucusing, adjusting of back focus, vibration and spin speed, loss of light, and noise all make these adapters difficult to to deal with.

With Scarlet coming, and with Canon's new 35mm rig showing the real promise of the future, I'm betting Redrock and Letus are going to have to diversify in the next year into follow focus type support features in order to survive. Either that, or they are going to have to get more realistic in their pricing.
For those of us that have to shoot now and already own a camera, it makes more fiscal sense to purchase an adapter. Scarlet is still vapor ware and the new Canon DSLR has some limitations that may or may not be acceptable to some.

As far as the ease of setting up, I have been using a DIY adapter using a spinning GG. Once you get used to using one, it really becomes fairly simple and second nature. Also, my adapter is pretty silent. I recently purchased the SGBlade which has a good price point and, from all reports, its quiet as well. Depending upon the GG element, the light loss isn't so bad. Personnally, I think there are still a couple of years left in adapter sales.

That said, if you can wait for the Scarlet, then by all means do so. It's all about what you need/want to do. The good thing is that there are so many options to choose from these days.
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post

I found Scarlet online. I didn't know it was a Red product. It looks like it could have potential. I think I'll wait for it to come out.

Which Canon product are you referring to? I know the Nikon D90's 720/24p video capability but not of any Canon.

Last edited by Pasha Hanover; January 20th, 2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Found Scarlet
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Canon EOS 5D Mk. II for HD.

Check out this forum: Canon EOS 5D Mk. II for HD - The Digital Video Information Network
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post

As far as the ease of setting up, I have been using a DIY adapter using a spinning GG. Once you get used to using one, it really becomes fairly simple and second nature. Also, my adapter is pretty silent. I recently purchased the SGBlade which has a good price point and, from all reports, its quiet as well. Depending upon the GG element, the light loss isn't so bad. Personnally, I think there are still a couple of years left in adapter sales.
I've built two, one spinner and one vibrator. Also have Letus 35a, that I have now added a flip addition to. What I have learned from all of this is that these adapters required refining adjustments and different macros work better, depending on your camera brand and model. Then you better have it on a good monitor so you can actually assure crisp focus. When it all comes together its great. But get it a little off, and things go bad quick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods