Static 35mm Adapter Solution - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 26th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #46
Regular Crew

No shit now, im working already

I got my first Job with the COLONIA35MM

the adapter i just made myself.

go to the site www.bobflash.com.br

choose the city RECIFE-PE

on the site theres a session called BOBCAM, where i go to parties and film everything.

check out the two last clips from a xmas party. i made the two with the 35mm lens, 50mm, 1.4.

it is wonderful, altought i had some problems to focus, with the light of the place, etc. im still learning. and i was drunk too, etc...anyway, tell me what you think of it.

im just waiting your review.

thanks

ciao

all static is the way.!!!!!

ciao
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Daniel Looks good. Please post pix of your setup and rig.

You BR have too much fun.

T
Taylor Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #48
Regular Crew

taylor

it isnt just great because of my cheap trv18...

ive said before all the setup...

look at the pic of the Colonia35mm

http://www.bobflash.com.br/franquias/recife/locais/barrozoclub/eventos/24-12-2003_3146/fotos/124170.jpg
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #49
Regular Crew

another

http://www.bobflash.com.br/franquias/recife/locais/barrozoclub/eventos/24-12-2003_3147/fotos/124306.jpg
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #50
Vendible Book

Re: no GG?

<<<-- Originally posted by Filip Kovcin : hello there,
i can send my "filmeo" (film+video) tests today to you via taylor (with his kind permission) if you want to see it. should i send them? -->>>

You can also send it to me. I'll post it in my yahoo briefcase.

What you described is possible, I think I know the underlying optical physics. The problems with it is not the image, but the way to use it. I'll try to come up with a diagram to explain why it works.
Louis Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #51
Vendible Book

Re: another

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Moloko : http://www.bobflash.com.br/franquias/recife/locais/barrozoclub/eventos/24-12-2003_3147/fotos/124306.jpg -->>>

Daniel, it looks good. Could you post a full resolution still image without color correction? I'd like to have a reference to compare. Thanks.
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #52
Regular Crew

i cant post it

i cant post it on the site

i dont have where to post also

anyway, i can send you a email.

tell me yours adress...

ciao
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #53
Vendible Book

email: coppercapt at yahoo.com
Old December 26th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #54
Vendible Book

Daniel's image is up at

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lou...o+Still+Images
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #55
Major Player

Can we see some footage, too? I've got server space -- I'm willing to lend space for files 15mb and under.

Drop me an email here: jim@ideaspora.net

- jim
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:56 AM   #56
Vendible Book

I have got my prisms (roof+penta combo) from the links posted earilier. It looks like they will work. I'm working on a draft design right now and once I have it done I'll post it. But it's probably going to be something a little bit more complex. But you can strip it down or simplify it to fit your need. Actually the static version can be very simple if producing upright image is not needed, you only need a ground glass and two condenser lens to remove the hot spot problem.

Since I'm producing a physically correct 3D model, it's possible to create actual product from it. I'm planning to send it out to make a prototype in plastic.

My new material has not arrived yet, but I was told that it has a feature size of around 1 micron, comparing to the finest GG I produced at 3 micron. Plus it transmits much more light than ground glass. This sounds very promising. It should arrive any day now.
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:12 PM   #57
Major Player

1 micron and dove prism

vendible,

i just spoked yesterday with the guy who knows optics, and he will find also 1micron GG from some russian military equipment... not bad.

did you tryed to work WITHOUT PENTAPRISM? since dove prism already inverts the image? am i correct? or in dove prism case - image is upside down AND turned left to right?

IF... dove works just upside down - you don't need prentaprism.

just dove and GG, and that's all...

i mean if you have following situation:

35mm lens -> (image upside down) ->dove (image corrected) -> GG ->camera... it means that everything should be allright... or not?

you mentioned somewhere in the thread that dove should be at least 150mm long to acheive 24x36mm frame.
BUT!!!!
film (cinema) frame is just half of that!
so, does this means that shorter dove is possible?
just a thought...

please, correct me if (or where) i'm wrong

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:43 PM   #58
Vendible Book

Filip,
Actually the image produced by the 35mm lens is both upside down and left-right reversed.

So the image must be both inverted up-down and reverted left-right. A dove prism only inverts the image up-down, not left-right. So you do need a way to revert the image left-right in addition to the dove prism.

Considering a roof/penta combo costs much less than a dove prism alone and without the need of additional instruments to revert the image left-right, the combo is a better choice. Another even cheaper one is the roof penta/mirror combo (the origenal method used in SLR camera), which could be even better.

Also after playing with the roof and pentaprisms, I realize although the roof prism is smaller at 28x28mm compare to the pentaprism at 24x35mm, it's possible to "see" approximitly the full frame passed from the pentaprism of 24x35mm. I know this is not very easy to understand and I was concerned before actually see it.

This more or less confirms why the roof-penta prism in SLR camera allows you to see the full image even when it has one side larger and the other side much smaller.

Honestly I don't know much about the film/cinema frame spec. I only see the standard 35mm camera produces frames of 24x36mm. What kind of lens do you use for half of that frame?
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:53 PM   #59
Major Player

How is that you create the 3 or 1 micron GG ? Seens like here in Guatemala getting alliminun oxide is almost imposible, but still looking. Want to give this a try or o will try making a round GG just like the CD to but made from glass and with really low grain.
Old December 31st, 2003, 03:20 PM   #60
Vendible Book

Agus, I found this site and it's also posted by someone else in the Homemade adapter thread. http://www.phototechmag.com/previous...kas/dokas.html

I bought the 5 micron and 3 micron aluminum oxide dust from the company mentioned in the article, Willmann-Bell, Inc. (800-825-7827). I don't know if they will ship international, but it's a good possibility.

For those want to make their GG using these dusts, you are better off buying those 1/16 inch thick glass (the thinnest I can get from a glass shop) at larger piece. I have a 6 inch rotary palm polisher for polishing cars. I use one round piece as the sander and use super glue to glue it on the polisher. With that to sand a bigger piece of about 7x7 inch. After you finish sanding it, you can cut it to fit your need.

The 1 micron material is totally different. I can't produce such thing, it's not made of glass and is less than 1mm thick.
Louis Feng is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods