Vendi-Agus-35s and SLR converters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vendi-Agus-35s and SLR converters?

Ok, my question is why would I want to make one of these instead of just buying an SLR converter for my camera, i have an xl1s so couldnt i just attach a Canon SLR lens onto my camera with the adapter and and get the same DoF? Or is something special happening with the DoF when it it projected onto the ground glass and then filming that? Or is it all a money and non-interchangable lense issue? Just wondering before I spend time on one of these nice gadgets.

Thanks
http://www.secondsection.com
Riley Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #2
Major Player

When using SLR Converter and Lens on your XL1 you in short looses the depth of feild effect. When using Agus35 model or Mini35 you keep the depth of feild from the lens, that's the short version. (It all has to do with the target area = CCD size)
35mm large format, a CCD is very small.

I know someone will explain this better then me.
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

well thats lame, heh, thanks, i've wondered that since i got my camera.
http://www.secondsection.com
Riley Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #4
New Boot

I'd like to give more detail on that answer...

A) The SLR lens adaptor that Canon sells has another lens element in it and my understanding is that it has an effect on the DOF. I've never touched one my self, but that's what I hear.

B) More importantly, it is the focal length of the lens in relation to the imaging size (in this case the CCD). A lens with a "long focal length has shalower DOF, while a "short" or wide lens has more DOF.
A 35mm SLR lens is meant to project an image onto a surface that is 36mm x 24mm. If you have a ruler draw a rectangle 36mm x 24mm (approx. 1-7/16" x 1"). Then, right in the center of that rectangle, draw another rectangle about 3mm x 4mm (1/8" x 3/16") which is pretty close to the size of a 1/3" CCD. Now imagine there is a picture of someone's face filling the frame of the 36mm x 24mm rectangle. Notice that rectangle representing the CCD is only framing that persons nose? Essentually, you magnify the image. The next logical step in trying to solve this problem is to use a wider lens so that the image fits onto the CCD, but the wider you get the deeper the depth of field and we want shallow DOF. As you probobly know, in the 35mm format, a 50mm lens is considered a "normal" lens. Normal basically means that the size of the object(s) you see in the viewfinder match what you see with your eye. A "normal lens in the 16mm format is considered to be a 24mm lens. A "normal" lens for a 1/3" CCD is about a 6mm lens. So, to get the same field of view you would get with a 50mm lens on a SLR camera, you would have to mount a 6mm lens on your XL-1. Getting shallow DOF with a 6mm lens is possible only if you are really close to your subject (like 1").
I'm sorry... What was your question again? (smile)
Martin Hesse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods