nikon lenses AI-S are good with mini35 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 17th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

nikon lenses AI-S are good with mini35 ?

Hi!

I do not know which lenses take for the mini35 !
Nikon AF or older lenses like AI-S ?
What's the difference ? the difference in these 2 models is this only the automatism and the data-processing chip ?
I know that these new technology (af) are deactivate with the use of the mini35 ! so...but the quality between ?

thanks!
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #2
Sales: Reflecmedia

Daniel,

I can only offer a general comment about the Nikon lenses.

As far as I understand, the physical mount has not changed in decades, so theoretically, any Nikon lens will work.

As you mention, any electronic control of the lens is lost, but most as I understand it have full manual modes as well.

I have yet to see any comments about whether or not any particular Nikon glass is better then others. It all seems to be good. A rule of thumb is just that newer lenses are going to have better coatings i.e. it could very well be that Nikon is using the same glass that they've been using forever, but great strides have been made in the chemicals that are used to coat the lenses. However, as a side note, there's been a lot of talk recently how many DP's are looking for older lenses, coated and non-coated, because of the unique properties they had in flare and such.

One big difference I've seen mentioned between the AF line and the original manual use lenses is that the AF's are not as smooth in their mechanics in manual mode.

Hopefully someone can shed some additional light on your particular questions. You may also want to consider making the post in a more lens focused forum :)

mizell
Old January 19th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I bought recently nikon lenses for the mini35 and have not taken delivery on the mini35 yet . I will share the results. I did purchase manual focus Nikon lens, as I thought the focus was smoother than the AF lens, we will see.

Regards
Steve
Steve Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Defintely avoid AF lenses...the focus control is crap for this system. And definitely get the fastest AIs you can, they're not only fast, but the most solid of the Nikon line...the focus is very smooth, the lenses are very solid. My reccomendation for a basic set of Nikon primes is: (I'm going from memory, I'm not in my studio) 24mm 2.0, 35mm 1.4, 50 mm 1.2, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8

Obviously, these are just what I'm using, but I've had great success with them.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Somebody want to sell these used lenses to me for... 1800.00$ US

28mm f/2 Nikkor Ai-S
35mm f/1.4 Nikkor Ai-S
50mm f/1.2 Nikkor Ai-S
85mm f/1.4 Nikkor Ai-S

This is too expensive ?

...it said to me that it bought them (brandnew) in 2003 for more 3000.00$us ?
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Giberti : My reccomendation for a basic set of Nikon primes is: (I'm going from memory, I'm not in my studio) 24mm 2.0, 35mm 1.4, 50 mm 1.2, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8
-->>>

Jim

35mm f1.4

what are the shallow DOF properties of this super fast wide lens like?

I would love to see an example pic shot via your system if you can spare the time

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Major Player

<<Jim

35mm f1.4

what are the shallow DOF properties of this super fast wide lens like?

I would love to see an example pic shot via your system if you can spare the time
>>

The shalow DOF with all these lenses is beautiful, very three dimensional, especially doing rack focus, which is very dable with the still primes and quality of focus on these Nikon AIs. The big 85mm 1.4 is a incredible piece of glass for the money.

I'm just finishing up some last minute promo work for the Chevy Snowbaord Grand Prix, and then I plan on editing the foliage project..I'll definitely post it here for you.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:23 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm lovin it

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #9
Tourist

Daniel,

I don't think you'll find a better setup for your buck (PS Technik + Nikon)! I have the exact same ones plus 180mm 2.8. But you probably don't need this one to start with. Look for a matte box that will allow you to use these lenses with setp down rings. Good luck with your projects.
John Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks John !

I'm happy to learn that! Thank you John for your research ,you is an obliging person and I appreciate it very much!
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods