LCD's for 35mm Adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:39 PM   #1
Major Player

LCD's for 35mm Adapters

Hey everyone my Agus35 design is almost complete. To really test it out though I need an LCD display I can hang off the side that will rotate the image 180 degrees for proper viewing.

I know a couple people have given links to a couple of them before but I figured since a lot of us seem to be going this route I'd start a thread where people can post links to models taht will work for us.

Personally I don't really need anything bigger then 4 or 5 inches and hopefully under $150 bucks.

Please post links to models and or model names/numbers we can search for. Perferably models that have some means of screw in or shoe mounting.

Also how are people getting portable power to their LCD's? I notice a lot of LCD monitors designed for cars are AC/DC plug in power. Are you creating any sort of battery solution for this or are there battery powered models?

Thank you.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Glad to see this idea is finally catching on. Remember though that not only do you have to flip the image right side up again but you ALSO need to mirror the image left to right. ALOT of people are forgeting this detail. You'll find most of the small LCD screens your looking for being used as sunvisor screen for in car tv systems. They do the flip and mirror effect ELECTRONICALLY.

Heres a link to a bunch. They are on Ebay all the time too.
http://www.portablemp3playerstore.com/

As great as they are Im still looking for the holy grail - a small LCD screen that does the above AND can electronically unsqueeze a anamorphic image that is feed to it. Why do this? Does doubling your vertical resolution sound interesting to you? At first it sounds like a special piece of hardware and hard to do but actually it isnt. Remember the horizontal and vertical control dials on your old tv? Yep something like that. Apparently that feature isnt very popular on mini LCD's. It would make my day if I heard from someone thats resourceful enough to find affordable LCD that has it though.

Brett Erskine
Director of Photography
Premiere Visions
1761 W. La Palma Ave., Suite #302
Anaheim, CA 92801
www.CinematographerReels.com
BErskine@CinematographerReels.com
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:06 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

You're not going to find an LCD with that feature. It doesn't exist. LCD's are fixed-pixel grid patterns. Unless I'm mistaken, what you're talking about is the ability to scrunch down the scan lines to get full vertical resolution -- that's an analog-only, CRT-only technology. You won't get that with an LCD.

If you want to display 16x9 footage, just get a 16x9 LCD -- it'll un-anamorphosize automatically and display in the 16x9 aspect ratio, at full resolution.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Almost but not quite. I'll be using PL mount anamorphics with a 2.35 aspect ratio so a 16X9 LCD monitor will only unsqueeze it half way. Although I wish it was...its not a solution.

I hope your mistaken about the analogue/scan line issue but you might be right. The same thought crossed my mind. Of coarse there are third party ways around this problem too. Transvideo makes a small box that attaches between the source and either a LCD or CRT. It unsqueezes the image electronically but these little guys cost over a grand a pop. Heres the link:

http://www.transvideointl.com/pages/english/products/anamorphic.htm

I think thats too expensive for what you get. I would like to find out what the rental is though.

Given it-is possible I wonder what else is out there. Something much more affordable or perhaps not originally intended for this purpose. Whatever it is it would have to work on the fly and be small enough to make sense to carry on board. I'd hate to physically attach a thin optical lens on my LCD that would unsqueeze it for the operator but that may end up being the best alternative.

Still looking.

Brett Erskine
Director of Photography
Premiere Visions
1761 W. La Palma Ave., Suite #302
Anaheim, CA 92801
www.CinematographerReels.com
BErskine@CinematographerReels.com
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods