PL S16 Lenses to B4 mount adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 25th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #1
Major Player

PL S16 Lenses to B4 mount adapter

I would have liked to use PL S16 lenses on a 2/3 camcorder. Since the size difference between these formats is negligible, I don't need a DOF conversion adapter like P+S pro35, but only a mount to compensate for the prism inherent in the 2/3 design. After some googgling I have found an Abacus adapter that enables B4 lenses to be used on PL S16 cameras but not the opposite. Does anybody know if an adapter like that exists?

Last edited by Emmanuel Plakiotis; June 25th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You certainly can't make a simple mechanical adapter as there's no room for it, it would need optics. Then there is the theoretical problem that the S16 lens is designed for 1 plane (film) while the video lenses are designed for 3CCD cameras (focussing 3 different coloured lights). I get the feeling it might not be worth doing - even though, like you I suspect, I'd quite like to use nice S16 lenses instead of plasticky video ones!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Then there is the theoretical problem that the S16 lens is designed for 1 plane (film) while the video lenses are designed for 3CCD cameras (focussing 3 different coloured lights)Steve

I don't think thats a problem because the lens is focused on the prism and the prism is responsible for splitting the light to the 3CCD's. Besides if there are adaptors for 35mm lenses to mount them in 1/2 inch and 1/3 3CCD cameras with the obligatory image magnification, I don't see a problem making one from S16 to 2/3 inch.

S16 lenses, when attached to 2/3 B4 mount, don't need a ground glass solution because there is no more than 12% difference in the format sizes. It will be a very economical alternative to digiprimes because there are plenty of S16 lenses around that nobody uses anymore and probably could be purchased for nothing.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Emmanual

You may find the S16 lenses okay but may also discover a chromatic abberation problem which 3xCCD purposed lenses are designed to minimise as much as is affordably possible.

Have a look at this unrelated post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/let-us-di...extreme-3.html

Scroll through until you find some jpg images. One of a car on a street shows the CA effect you may get if you look closely along the top of the car roof. In this instance I was using a Nikon-mount 35mm stills format prime lens as a relay lens to a JVC 1/3" camera so the scale of the CA relative to the image may be less with a S16mm lens on a 2/3" camera.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
I don't think thats a problem because the lens is focused on the prism and the prism is responsible for splitting the light to the 3CCD's. Besides if there are adaptors for 35mm lenses to mount them in 1/2 inch and 1/3 3CCD cameras with the obligatory image magnification, I don't see a problem making one from S16 to 2/3 inch.
Optex used to make a device to correct this issue, a Longitudinal Colour Corrector, they obviously thought it was an issue.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Optex used to make a device to correct this issue, a Longitudinal Colour Corrector, they obviously thought it was an issue.
Steve
They basically adapted 2/3" lenses to film rather than the other way around. http://www.abakus.co.uk/Format_Converters.htm

There are other adapters as used for the JVC 1/3" cameras.

Super 16 lenses aren't cheap, because people still use them, but standard 16 lenses are cheaper. The demand will increase when the 2/3" Scarlet comes out, perhaps some people may be buying them now, before the price shoots up, which is what happened with the 35mm Cine lenses when the RED One came out.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods