The advantages of using an adaptor for wide's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The advantages of using an adaptor for wide's?

Is there an advantage to using you adapter on wide shots? and or using it with a stedi cam rig? I'm currently looking at purchasing a stedi cam and need to make a decision to buy that will accommodate my camera and adapter or just my camera.
Cameron Frittz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hmm... this conversation sounds familiar....haha.

Nice chatting in FB, Cameron. I thought I'd share my POV on this.

I think if you are shooting for post, in other words shoot with the camera settings pretty much set to factory and the best gamma curve for the best light acquisition, with the understanding that you will be color grading in post production....There's absolutely no reason to use the adapter on wide angles that put everything more or less in focus.

If I wanted to use my HVX/Redrock combo for a shoot and wanted to use some Steadicam shots as well AND maintain the same look throughout the film...I would remove the adapter and fly the HVX by itself. I would knock down the scene file "detail" setting a couple points to compensate so the image isn't too sharp looking when intercut with the Redrock footage. I would grade in post to match the shots IF it really needed it, but I don't think it would.

I've had this argument before and I actually shot my HVX with no lens adapter next to a friend who had a HVX/Letus with a wide angle on it...I think a 24mm. I could barely tell the difference....but the HVX without the adapter looked a little sharper so I bumped the detail to -2 or -3 and it looked pretty much the same.
Richard Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I like the way wide angle lenses look through an adapter, looks a lot different (better imo) than when I shot straight through a Raynox wide angle lens attached directly to the camera (no adapter).. you have a lot more selection of lenses to choose from as well as it will sync up better with your other adapter footage (as mentioned)

Plus there are some cool characteristics that can happen with an adapter besides just shallow depth of field
Cris Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The "apparent" sharper resolution from shooting direct-to-camera for the wide shots is hard to beat.

Some wider 35mm lenses are rectilinear lenses which do not curve straight objects in the image. They do however stretch the image into the corners. This is another creative option so there is a defence for using an adaptor for the wides.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 21st, 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods