4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 149 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM   #2221
Regular Crew

Rob Lohman,

Could you possible shortlist some of these 48fps-24fps solutions for me? I am looking to purchase equipment within next two weeks.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:13 AM   #2222
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Ronald:
The Pixel link is an IBIS-5A camera. Global shutter, 6.7 microns. In global shutter mode, you will only get those frame rates with no exposure time. Otherwise, exposure and readout times add together to make the total frame rate. Check the posts from Ben - he has had good luck with IBIS-5A cameras but we discourage them for DV applications.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:56 PM   #2223
Trustee

looking good we need 16bit tiff export from that convert app to have any use from it at this point.

Latest Raw file format at 12bit 1080x1920
www.dv3productions.com/pub/Rec00001.rw2
Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:24 PM   #2224
Regular Crew

just found this thread...

>>Latest Raw file format at 12bit 1080x1920
>>www.dv3productions.com/pub/Rec00001.rw2

wow. that's a lot of latitude.

do you have a website for this camera yet? We would be
interested in one of these when it's complete.

Thanks,
Will Griffith
producer/editor
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:17 PM   #2225
Trustee

Yes Will it's amazing what I am getting from the Camera at this point..if your new you may not have seen some of the great images I have because of server space. Our ISP told us to delete stuff because we are over the 1 gig limit..I will try and repost some stuff soon for the new people on the list

We have the 2 SATA disks from WD. Nice HEAVY DUTY disk drives..they really feel heavy when I compare them with the standard IDE drive ...anyway I have the Drives and motherboard..still waiting on the CPU a Dothan 2.0ghz and I gota find a TINY atx powersupply or figure out how to feed 12v into the atx connector on the motherboard..anyone want to give me a clue about motherboard power??

David Newman:
I need your stuff for testing!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:35 PM   #2226
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Biese :
with Linux
as I do have in some days my code ready to get anything from an Gig E port direct to disk array and each time it starts a new file -->>>

Cool!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:08 PM   #2227
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Obin Olson : looking good we need 16bit tiff export from that convert app to have any use from it at this point.

Latest Raw file format at 12bit 1080x1920
www.dv3productions.com/pub/Rec00001.rw2 -->>>

How are we supposed to open files with the extension .rw2?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:29 PM   #2228
Trustee

your not. that is a RAW data file that some on the board can play with if they write code. Not for consumer use. ;)

I am working on the tiff fix. It looks like we are using a SDK for tiff save that may be trashing 1/2 the data before save

BTW I got my dirty little hands on some good C-mount lenses today from a National Geo / BBC camera guy / Producer that just moved to town. He has lots of 8 and 16mm lenses. I will do some tests with them asap and post results :0
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:55 AM   #2229
Regular Crew

>>How are we supposed to open
>>files with the extension .rw2?

change extension to .raw, open with photoshop

- 1920x1080
- 1 channel
- 16bit

-will
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:14 AM   #2230
Regular Crew

Ronald:

Yes, it's C++. I don't know about the speed of the program, as I haven't got anything to compare with. Should compile on linux without any problems. You just need FreeImage and FreeImagePlus (find them, make them, install them, -link: -lfreeimage -lfreeimageplus). It was written on linux, but the last version was ported to mingw32, so there might be some code left, that doesn't work with linux (but there shouldn't be).

Obin:

Sorry, if it doesn't work for you. I think I can't get 16bit files out of FreeImage library, because it uses BYTEs. And as far as I know BYTE is 8bits. If I'll find some library with 16bit TIFF read/write, then I might be able to do it later, but it propably won't happen soon.

If somebody's already tested my program, I have to say that it uses the Variable number of gradients method by default. You can use the Bilinear interpolation method by giving the command --interpolation on the commandline. The gradients method worked well with the trucks picture, but the interpolation was better on the flowers. The gradients method is exactly the same as described in that paper about debayer methods - and it was supposed to be the best method in that paper. In the flower picture it makes some new kind of artifacts, kind of like "maze - or labyrinth" like pattern. And on the trucks picture it doesn't get rid of all the zig-zag, but some of it is gone. I also tried coding the Laplacian second order methods but they give me some strange results on the dark areas, and overall, they don't seem perfect even if they worked.

So, I think that it would be best to make a basic interpolation and then remove the zig-zags with some simple algorithm. I'm slowly working on that and the 16bit export.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #2231
Trustee

Obin,

What are those verticle stripes going down the image?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:19 PM   #2232
Trustee

not sure jason screengrab what your talking about and I will check it out
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:25 PM   #2233
Major Player

to Steve

Hi
you wrote----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ronald:
The Pixel link is an IBIS-5A camera. Global shutter, 6.7 microns. In global shutter mode, you will only get those frame rates with no exposure time. Otherwise, exposure and readout times add together to make the total frame rate. Check the posts from Ben - he has had good luck with IBIS-5A cameras but we discourage them for DV applications.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do think so too, but Rai and Markus do use the same chip. I wonder how they and why they do it ?

Anyway any news for Gig E Altasens ??
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM   #2234
Major Player

What was the mother you were using?
The one Jason told us about? (Kontron)
Or the new Mini-ITX from DFI ?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:54 PM   #2235
Inner Circle

720p Altasens and other issues

Ronald

If I can rember right from the posts, it is because IBIS5 is the only relative CMOS Global shutter solution available, and they have better external AD convertor than IBIS5a normally comes with. But still performance is less than Micron Obin used (which has different faults).

Rob S (Steve)

How did you go with adjusting gain etc to get past the smearing? From memory, Obin also mentioned that for some reason he had to adjust his camera by 3db from 0db to get normal image (I forget either +-). I speculated that the camera might have been a bit faulty, have you found the same problem?

Also, when are they going to upgrade that camera to the new non smear technology of the 1080 version.

In matter of fact, I'm sure somebody mentioned a 720p Altasens before based on their older sensors, does such a beast exist, and how good/cheap is it to use compared to Micron/IBIS ones?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods