4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project - Page 88 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM   #1306
Major Player

one Raptor SATA has a 72 MB/s speed and costs 199...............
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM   #1307
Major Player

Yeah, but you can't carry it with you. I'm talking about laptop solutions...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:20 PM   #1308
Major Player

Why I cannot carry with me a normal PC Hard drive, are you kidding???
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:22 PM   #1309
Major Player

How are you going to power it? Plug it into a tree? Carry some custom battery?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:33 PM   #1310
Major Player

If I can carry a Laptop with its batteries, I can power one little disk which just needs around 10 watts and weights 1.60 Pounds I guess, but as usual I know you'll tell me I'm wrong....

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...asp?DriveID=65
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:38 PM   #1311
Major Player

No, no, no. Relax -- I'm seriously asking. How would you power it? Most laptops probably won't deliver 10watts through any of the buses (maybe over 2 USB2/FW buses combined?) so would you adapt a batter for it?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:44 PM   #1312
Major Player

If I can't take power from the HDs conectors I guess I can take it from somewhere else, if not I can take it from the Laptops battery connectors and add a little regulator, transformer (don't know the exact english name) to power the disk..
If all this fails, I guess I'll need another laptop battery or a camera battery with a power regulator to get 12 and 5 volts from it....
Anyway it would always be smaller and less power hungry than a Firewire RAID or several disks...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM   #1313
Major Player

A FW raid with 2 disks would only take 6W maximum during read/write operation, and it could all be bus-powered... No extra power source needed...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:04 PM   #1314
Major Player

two laptop disks??
Are you sure?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:10 PM   #1315
Major Player

What do you mean? Yeah -- laptop drives draw a max of 5W on spin-up (5.5 for 7200rpm), but only draw a max of 3W during normal operation. With two separate buses, you should have no trouble powering them (a single bus may not power both, depending on the laptop).

And 2 FW800 drives is enough to give you 67MB/sec, like I cited before...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:54 PM   #1316
Trustee

can the laptop drives be used on a SATA connector? that would be a very good setup and somthing I will look at for the camera

Steve will I get a 3300 soon?

once again we used the camera for a "real" shoot today of a product on a bluescreen for comping and once again the "streaking" ruined the shot...the good side is that the streak was on the blue so it was cut out anyway...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM   #1317
Trustee

Obin, is your software finally working?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:26 PM   #1318
Major Player

Obin, when you get your new 3300 please could you give me an aproximate sensitivity in ASA scale ?
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:01 AM   #1319
Major Player

d'oh

I haven't been paying attention to the DAC offsets in my camera's settings, and I think that's why we were seeing excessive banding in previous images. I'm still experimenting with how far I can push the image once the DAC offsets are set correctly, but here's an example image with no hardware image correction, but with a software gamma applied, and my chromaPop plug-in.

I think I'm getting the hang of it. There's still a little banding in certain areas, but it's way less intense. I might be able to push the hardware gamma up a tad without affecting the banding. Software gamma adjustments from 8 bit data will definitely accentuate any banding...

- ben
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #1320
Major Player

Quote:
Ben Syverson wrote:
But I'd rather not work directly on Rob's app, as I think he's focusing on a PC-based solution, whereas everything I do is on the Mac. Also, I think Rob's sw is basically capture software specifically for CameraLink (Rob, correct me if I'm wrong), which doesn't apply to my camera.It may make sense to share certain techniques and code snippets, but if I decide to go forward with a Quicktime codec, a lot of that code will be fairly specific.
I am working on two things:
  • Capture app -- CameraLink- and Windows-specific (for now)
  • Convert app -- cross-platform conversion/filtering app
The Capture app will probably be closed-source, but the Convert app will be developed under the GPL, so it would be a good place for your Bayer algorithm to go, if you're interested in incorporating it.

When I have some time, I'll try to work up a better road map of the software under development.

(I have also thought about working on a codec, but I have way too much on my plate already.)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods