A message to the creative inventors of this great DV Community at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A message to the creative inventors of this great DV Community

My english is very limited so I hope you can understand what I try to means...

I was following some of the very interesting threads oriented to find the way for to get film look using film lens adapters in DV cameras...and/or how to get more from the DV camera...etc...Like ie: the Aldus, Agus, Pertierra and others works

So, I want to ask if in a similar way is possible to make -with a "very low" investment- some like an adapter for to connect a Super 8 projector with ie. a MiniDV camera for to use like a telecine machine that can produce an outstanding and professional quality transfer... I know that exist some super8 telecines machines from $ 1000 to A LOT more...but may be could possible to create another kind of way to make a telecine. Of course, the final result must be similar (or very near) to the obtained in a top post facilitie.....Is this possible? Am I dreamming?

I believe the Super 8 format is yet a very interesting option for some works and if we could to have a very cheap way for to transfer to digital video (for to finish the work there) with very high quality, this small film format could get a great second (or third?) wind...

What I am talking about is not for to substitute in any way the marvellous adapters that some people are making and inventing for to obtain a film look...Is just for to add another possibilities for our film work...

There are thousands of hi end Nizo's, Canon's, Nikon's, Beaulieu's, Bauer's and Leicina's Super-8 cameras (like new) floating around and ready for to be used with profusion if someone could create some that can permit to save the very expensive cost of the telecine work...Is enough with the film and the process cost...

Just an idea looking for someone that can convert it in reality.....if possible....

Thanks

FP
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Super 8 just got another wind with the introduction of two great stocks from Kodak: Vision2 200T and Vision2 500T. As for telecine, your best bet, without getting into individual frame capture would be to purchase a 5 bladed projector, like a bolex 18-5L and then purchase a separate condesner lens (www.moviestuff.tv sells one for this purpose) and set that up and capture in real time. Using that setup might be your best bet to get decent results. Of course nothing will beat a good supervised rank, but that is expensive. And the workprinters that moviestuff sells get good reviews, but like you mentioned, that's $1000+.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3
Major Player

My company, which does 35mm film scanning for Hollywood films, is building a second scanner that will be able to scan 8mm film. The results will be 1280 pixel wide frames that are captured at 12 bits per color, resulting in frames on a disk of either 8 or 10 bits per color. This will move 8mm into the realm of Digital Intermediates, similar to the way 35mm films are being color timed, etc.
The cost will be about double what a normal high quality telecine costs, but the results will preserve the actual grain structure of the small film, as well as give those shooting on camera negative stocks a 10 stop latitude for color timing.
The 8mm service should be ready by mid July. See pixelharvest.com for updates near that time.
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Back 25 years, Sony made a device, the VCR16. It was a neutral density filter, small condenser lens, surface coated mirror, tube mount, a 9mm "C" mount video lens, a "C" to "C" mount spacer.

This device mounted to a "C" mount 2/3" tube camera. It was used to transfer 16mm film images from a projector to camera.

If the "C" mount lens is changed, it can be used for 8mm or Super8mm. It would have to be altered to fit a modern camcorder.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods