Using the EF Adapter instead !! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #31
Major Player

not to mention it makes the camera look freakin cool... post that pick at the photo of you rig thread in the xl1 section...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Bernard,

it seems there is something wrong with the address !!
maybe from my end, i dont know,
but thanks man for the link anyways :)

Regards,
Amr
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hey Amr.
I thinks the problem is from your end because I checked it and it works.
Try it on another computer.
Regards.
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #34
Major Player

<<They will be different on the XL1. Look at 28 days later. It was shot with Canon lenses and on an XL1 - not on a mini35. Looked great but different.>>

That's not exactly an accurate comparison. 28 Days Later was shot with Canon EJ and FJ cine lenses, not the EF still lenses. The quality of the EJ lenses is many, many times better than EF lenses. And they did have a mini35 adaptor, just not the P+S one because the movie was shot before it was released (it was filmed in the Fall of 2000). Instead, they spent a ton of money haveing Optex custom build a mini35 adaptor that would do the same thing the P+S one does. Those are the kinds of things you can do when you have a ton of money (the budget on that movie was, I believe, about $15 mil. US).

Personally, I don't know why Optex never released their adaptor to compete with Technik one. Maybe there was a rights issue with the producers of 28 Days Later since they paid for it. I don't know.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #35
Regular Crew

i just found this site for an ef adapter by xl1solutions. it claims to have a magnification of only 2X to 4X using their adapter and an ef lens. has anyone tried this adapter out? it seems like it would a better solution than canons ef adapter if it truly is only 2 to 4X.

they also have other mounts if you guys are interested. i am only interested in the ef adapter at this time but want to hear from others who may have more experience with adapters. it seems to add only a small amount of distance (maybe less than canon's) to the lens plane so it might in fact work as stated. would love to know for sure!!!!

thanks....
hope it helps others....

marc
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #36
Regular Crew

might help if i included the address!

http://www.xl1solutions.com/
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #37
Trustee

Marc, Please take a look to this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=xl1solutions for infos on this specific subject. Basicly, the XL1solution adapter is a mechanical adapter, and like any mechanical adapter, you will have a manification factor based on the CCD size and the type of lens used. With an 1/3 CCD, the magnification factor is about 7x if you use 35mm still lens, about 4x if you use 35 mm cine lens, or 2x if you use 16 mm cine lens.

Hope this help.
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #38
Warden

No, read the explanation again. A mm is a mm. The use of different lenses will not produce different results. A 5mm lens is a 5mm lens. The magnification factor changes as the size of the format changes, not as the type lens changes. The XL1 Solution Adapter is no solution. It does exactly what the EF adapter does, no more, no less.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #39
Regular Crew

jean,
thanks! this helps alot. i understand now why the adaptors work the way they do! i think my best option at this time would be a 3x wide angle lens (until i can afford a mini 35 set up!)

also, jean (off topic) have you started your stabilizer rig? im buying the parts this week!

thanks again!
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #40
Trustee

Yes Jeff, sure, a mm is a mm, perhaps that I could have been clearer. What I mean is that if you point a still 35 camera with a 50 mm lens on it on an object, and after that you take the same lens on an XL1, assuming the distance between the object and the two cameras remain the same, this object will be 7x bigger on the XL1. That is how I understand the magnification between formats. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #41
Warden

Yes, your explanation is essentially correct.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods