My DIY cinematography camera project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Major Player

My DIY cinematography camera project

Just thought I would share my progress in case anybody is interested.

This is a software DVR for the Sumix SMX-12A2C head, and the brains of my DIY camera project. I borrowed a few ideas I liked from a number of cameras and the design is still evolving.

The software is multithreaded and has a number of safety features to guarantee reliable video acquisition. Output is Adobe Digital Negative (DNG) 1080p 12bit 24p at about ~100 megabytes a second. This is captured to a hotswap interchangeable 1TB raid 0 magazine.

Video sequence names are determined by the digital slate accessed from the [slate] button.

Adobe products provide the backbone for the post-production RAW workflow.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/305574/alpha.jpg
This is a screenshot with the emulation enabled. It's in a development mode I use to avoid messing with the camera head.

I'm considering rewriting the interface in OpenGL and take advantage of hardware acceleration... There may be no advantage but I figure the only way to know for sure is try.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods