Let's talk production and editing monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 24th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #1

Let's talk production and editing monitors

Hey guys,

I'm about to get a mac G5 with 23" cinema display for editing. I'm also gonna get a second one, but since I can't get an additional rebate on a second display, then I'm gonna wait to see if the prices drop next week because of the rumored 30" monitors to come out.

Anyway,

I'm looking for suggestions for methods of 1920 X 1080p monitors for use on set for shooting when the new HD box cameras come out. Some people talk about using typical computer monitors, etc.

I figured this would be a good thread for suggestions about good, cheap production and post monitors that can give ACCURATE representation of what you'll get in a theater.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #2
Major Player

I suggest you yo use an LCD monitor from MAC with the standard converter from HD-SDI to RGB OR DVI.
Black Magic sells one for 1,250.

There is also an adapter from Mac that lets you connect any 15 pin connector to the monitor.Here in Argentina everybody is upgrading their AVID systems with it.Costs around $120.

You could even use a Viewsonic P225Fb with an adapter and this will cost you no more than 2,000 , far less than the usual pricing for professional big video color monitors.
Hope this helps.
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #3

How do you think the mac cinema displays rate for post production playback monitors?
Old June 26th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Far better than a Sony Hd monitor :)
Also any Computer CRT monitor is far better than any Video one...although sometimes the color bakance can be a little different, but not so much nowadays...
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:43 AM   #5

Is it better than the sony hd display if you're using standard apple connections? Or do you have to be going in DVI? I've got 2 cinema displays not, so that's great if the answer is yes.

thanks.
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:49 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't get the idea sorry :)
I mean, if you use a MAC cinema TFT Display or even a Viewsonic P225f CRT you'll better definition than a Normal Sony HD monitor, which resolution isn't more than around 1200x700.
If you go all the way digital you'll have the best connection posible I guess ( HD-SDI ----> Converter ------> DVI to LCD monitor )
The next one would be ( HD-SDI ----> Converter ------> Analog R, G, B + synch to a Computer CRT monitor )
Did I answer correctly?
I'm always talking about production.Don't know what would happen with the differences in gamma between monitors, etc...
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods