Focus Problem on mini 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 17th, 2004, 05:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Focus Problem on mini 35

Just got my hands on a mini 35 series III. I think i messed up in using canon ef lenses and maybe thats my problem. im getting adsolutely no focus unless i close the iris setting on the adapter to 5 or more. Is there a back focus issue i'm missing? wide open on the adpater gets me nothing as far as clarity of image. HELP! If anyone has any info for me....wow, i'd greatly appreciate it.
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #2
Wrangler

Gerald, that does sound like a back focus issue to me. There is a small hex screw on the relay of the Mini35, you simply back it out a few threads and then you can fine tune the back focus. My recommendation is to point the lens towards a brightly lit neutral scene (like a window or piece of paper) and defocus the front lens, in your case the Canon, also stopping the lens down to a 5.6 or greater. Make sure the spinner is off. You should be able to clearly see the ground glass. Now adjust the back focus until the grain of the ground glass is as sharp as possible, and lock it off.

Hope this helps,
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Charles, thanks for the tech advise. It was exactly what you said it was, an adjustment on the relay. I bought the unit used and it came without a manual (which I just downloaded) so thanks again. Plus I'm exchanging these EF lenses for some Nikons first thing Monday. I mistakenly thought they had manual aperture adjustments.....not. Hopefully I'll be ready to start capturing some cool footage by next weekend.
Gerald Baillgergeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods