noise with DVX100 and mini 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 9th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

noise with DVX100 and mini 35

I have noticed that there is some noise in the images produced with my mini 35 and a DVX100. It seems to be noisier than with the XL1S.
Anyone noticed this, or have any suggestions regarding settings, etc to minimise it
Mike Bluestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Charles Papert might be able to answer this question better then I, But if I remember right there are different Cine modes, and I think cine d(?) was really noisy and I imagine it might be more noticable with the mini 35.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll try another setting. I was using Cine D, for maximum dynamic range.
Mike Bluestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #4
Wrangler

Mike:

As Nick mentioned, the Cine D mode incorporates a gain boost, which adds a lot of noise. I myself have sworn off it. Also trying playing around with the coring control, that helps with the noise.

In my opinion, the DVX is indeed a noisier camera than the XL1s, and I believe this is due to the image being internally boosted (i.e. electronic gain) to achieve its low-light rating, even on a low gain setting. I like the camera a lot, but this noise issue is to me the "dirty little secret" of the DVX and it's something I haven't seen a lot of people address.

And yes, I think the active groundglass of the Mini35 compounds the issue somewhat. It does show up on the DVX more than the XL1s. I'm just color correcting a spot I did a few months ago with the XL1/Mini combo, and I've been surprised at how relatively clean the images are compared to the DVX/Mini in this area.
Old August 10th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Charles: Thanks for the info. Do you feel that the DVX boosts the image in all the gamma settings? Some seem to be darker than others, although only by a little bit.
Mike Bluestone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods