Ground Glass Q at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Groud Glass Q

I recently finished a shoot that involved a lot of shooting outside in bright daylight. The stuff shot outside was done half in the EARLY morning and half later in the day. I think I might have made a mistake because I was told by the editor that there was a lot of ground glass showing in the footage from early morning. This freaked me out. Luckily there was plenty of footage from later in the day that I was told looked fine. But I am now wondering what it was that I did wrong. I never stop down my lens below f/2, and always just control the light with my shutter. The only thing I can think of was maybe I adjusted the iris on the mini35, which isn't something I would normally do, but I was wicked tired.

My question is whether there is any way other than stopping the lens down that can introduce the glass. Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Major Player

With very high shutter settings I suppose you could freeze the grounding structure and making it visible on frame by frame viewing. The structure is supposed to be blurred within the frame at normal speed settings.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Sponsor: ZGC

Dave, it seems that indeed your controlling the light exclusively with the shutter can create a situation where the ground glass structure becomes visible. In that case the speed of the ground glass and the shutter are close to be in phase. If this is noticeable, a small change of the speed of the Mini (from 3 to 4 for example) should resolve the problem.
The question I have for you is why do you avoid using the iris on the Mini? Its location on the back of the ground glass avoids the problem of grain visibility at all apertures.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Interesting info guys. I never thought about the relationship of the shutter speed to the spinning speed.

To answer Guy's question, the reason I avoid the iris on the mini was that the first time I used the system(inexperienced, yes) I used both the iris on the mini and the shutter to control light and had ground glass appear. It scared me away from using a technique(controlling with shutter) that had worked flawlessly before. It must have been just the wrong combination of settings though.

Unless someone knows what shutter speeds are problematic with the mini35, I should do some tests.

Also, I was wondering if shooting in frame mode, along with the shutter changes, could have an effect.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Although a close to synchronious sampling of the moving GG is teoretically possible, I don't think this is the case. Therefore it would be neccesary that the glass motion is close to 3600rpm (for NTSC)or a multiple of this.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods