movietube ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 5th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #1
Major Player

movietube ??

Anyone know what's happening ?
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks Rob - I hadn't seen the thread that mentions the price - wow- with 15 grand I'd buy and Aaton !
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Major Player

I guess an Aaton costs a little more....... ;)
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Juan - that's exactly what an A minima cost- 15 grand and you can use nikon mount lenses or PL mount! Or I've seen at least a dozen s16 full size Aatons on ebay go for less than 6 grand or for that matter another dozen s16 eclairs that went for around 3 grand. Movietube , for 15 grand , is dead in the water- as far as I'm concerned.
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #6
Wrangler

I think Movietube is coming into the game a little late, but the notion of a high-end 1/3" film lens relay is a decent idea considering where that format is going (i.e. towards HD). The question of future compatibility with different cameras is relevant however.

Compared to the Mini35 at $10,000, if the image is at least as good, the loaded version of Movietube at $15,000 is adding some useful components for high-end production. By this I mean integration into a film-style workflow, which is generally based around camera equipment rentals than ownership, and thus the purchase price is not as relevant. I have begun modifying my Mini35 to interface with film production accessories more tightly, some of which is seen with the Movietube.

As far as shooting film vs DV, it's an unfair comparison. Certainly one can buy 16mm cameras for less than $15K (but note that you will not realize the shallow DoF of the DV setup!), but the operating costs are obviously not comparable. After your first feature you will have spent all of the difference in cost on film, processing and telecine.

For projection, Super 16mm is far superior than any DV camera, with or without a 35mm optic involved. And given the preference, I would also shoot film rather than DV purely for the image quality.
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Charles-
What kind of mods are you doing to your Mini35? How are they like the Movie Tube?

-Brett Erskine
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #8
Wrangler

Hey Brett!

The mods are really more add-ons; I'm keeping the structure of the Mini35 intact for compatability and rentals.

I have had an Anton Bauer mount built that replaces the existing battery holder (a quick 2-screw changeover). A box is being built that will fit between the mount and the battery in a similar fashion to the Firestore FS-3; this box will regulate and distribute power to various components (12v for accessories such as onboard monitor, zoom control, transmitter etc, plus 7.2v stepdown for the camera and Mini35 motor) and multiple video outputs via a video distribution amplifier circuit. In addition, I have had an improved mount made up front for the FU-1000 viewfinder which will work with either the Canon XL series OR, via another breakout box, the DVX100a. This is great because it provides a high-res image for judging critical focus, and in the case of the DVX, proper handheld balance (most folks are using an onboard monitor for this, which is problematic in bright sun).

Once all is said and done, I will be able to power the camera, the viewfinder, the Mini35 and any accessories off the one Anton Bauer (planning on using the Dionic 90's, which should run the whole shooting match for a full day per battery), and I will be able to shoot true film style with the appropriate accessories. The cool thing is that due to the modular nature of the breakout boxes, I can deliver different versions for different uses. Already got a stock Mini35, but want to use the DVX100a with the FU1000 viewfinder? The viewfinder box will take the power cable from the Mini35 motor, and then power both the viewfinder and the motor (video comes directly from either the s-video or the RCA on the camera, whichever one you aren't using for a monitor). No need to modify your Mini35, or use a different battery. The full-blown version is going to be really killer though.

I'll be posting pictures once all of the stuff is built and finished. It's a lengthy process but I think it will be more than worth it.
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Charles-

Sounds incredible! Hey I'd love to meet up again and check it out. I als want to get the chance to shoot some rez charts with both the Mini35 and the medium format version of the mini35 I made. I have to know if all my efforts in making it run with a larger target area really improves the clarity.

-Brett
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

sorry for not posting frame grabs and test footage. The tests we did with the movietube were everything but not good.
Some guys in our area say that movietube will never reach production. The prototype adapter the Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg, Germany has will be given back - it is too expensive and still has too many unsolved problems.

dietmar
Dietmar Zonewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #11
Trustee

I got an email from movietube a few days ago promoting that they are going to be taking it to CINEC 2004 in Munich from 9/18 to 9/20. Anyone going to that?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

have a look at the p+s technik area, I posted some interesting news.

dietmar
Dietmar Zonewicz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods