DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Canon XL-1 Relaylens (original, now merged w/ consolidated XL1 thread) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/33606-canon-xl-1-relaylens-original-now-merged-w-consolidated-xl1-thread.html)

Dino Reyes July 22nd, 2004 09:39 AM

anders,
for your relay lens, what kind of lens are you using? also, what kind of connector/adapter are you using also to attach the lens to the canon body also?

-dr

Anders Floe July 23rd, 2004 07:20 AM

It's a Infinite Conjugate Micro Video Imaging Lens - designed for use in micro CCD board cameras.

Focal Length (mm) 2.90
Max. CCD Format 1/3"
Angular FOV >79°
Min. Working Distance 200mm
Minimum FOV 330mm
Mounting Thread M12 x 0.5

I planned to make the mount myself. So I first made som tests to find out the proper distance to the ccd. But I couldn't get it in focus. You can also buy a c-mount adaptor for this type of lens. Can you make anything out of the specs?

Dino Reyes July 23rd, 2004 11:07 AM

anders,
yes, i understand the idea. but just looking at what you propose, would make it more difficult to complete overall.

I'm afraid you'd be much better off making a very inexpensive-but good-Agus35. That is the model with the spinning ground glass. You can make one for about $30 or less... this will get you up and running cheaper and faster than what your thinking of putting together now...

just a thought...
-dino

Kevin Burnfield July 23rd, 2004 08:55 PM

What adapter and lens would you use for an AGUS35? I'm at the point where I'm thinking that if it's good enough for the Mini35, it's good enough for me to use.

Patrick Falls July 24th, 2004 06:21 PM

dino

dino reyes, how are you coming along with your adapter?

do you have recent pics?

i really like the way patrick wright's setup looks, and the depth of field looks great, but he mentioned trying the gg for a less video look so i assume he's not happy with his set up. i like the fact that it doesn't make the camera look too long.

i'm still trying to weed through the forum and find out who has the adapter that yeilds the best results, if you can give me the name of the person that i need to talk to that would be nice, also fell free to e-mail me at mrpatrick357@hotmail.com for any updates in your project.

Patrick Falls July 24th, 2004 06:27 PM

to patrick wright

hey, patrick can you e-mail some costs of this setup, and explain to me if you feel that a ground glass will make a huge difference in the way your footage looks without it?

with the dof that you are obtaining do you think that you can get the less video look in post to achieve the same look you would get with ground glass? i like the fact that your camera looks like it doesn't need any special mounts or support. it looks like your cam will be stable on a good tripod.

Kevin Burnfield July 24th, 2004 07:33 PM

It would be great if any stuff like that got posted to this thread so we can all share in it and perhaps help each other develop this project together.

Anders Floe August 17th, 2004 05:02 PM

I'm still experimenting with the relaylens. I can't believe that it should be so complicated. All you need is the right piece of glass and a mount. I'm having trouble making one because I get all my knowledge of lenses from experimenting. I basicly don't know anything about lenses. I took an old photocamera lens apart an held one of the several pieces of glass in front of the camera CCD and it shoved a nice picture (though not wide enough). So it should be possible with a single piece of glass...or??? I really need help from somebody who know lenses!

Can anybody tell my which glass I should get a hold of???

Thanks!

Keith Kline August 17th, 2004 10:02 PM

Anders, I am also trying to figure out a relay lens for my camera. So far it seems like the easiest way it's been done was with a 35mm still lens and an adapter, but there has to be a better way. If anyone has any ideas of what type of glass we might need to accomplish this please give us some advice. I know I sure could use some. Is there a better/cheaper way to do this other than using an adapter and 35mm still lens?

Anders Floe September 1st, 2004 07:18 AM

To : Christoph Hopf

I found this on the net:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/46335/SC2595X/REG/3662

Is that what you are referring to?

Shouldn't we just keep the xl-1 relaylens discussion in this thread instead of having to keep up with two identical threads?

Christoph Hopf September 5th, 2004 06:02 AM

sorry folks,

somehow i didn`t noticed that there is a allready a existing thread about this subject.
i am quite sure that p&s technik use this schneider xenonlense for the relay lense.

now i am thinking about to order only the relay lense from p&s Technik. maybe it`s possible??

Anders Floe September 5th, 2004 10:31 AM

That would really be awesome! I think the list price is about 1500 euro or something for the whole connection kit. I wonder would the lens alone would cost?

I don't think that you should mention what you want to use it for! The only way they would sell the lens alone would be if you already had bought the adaptor but you had broken the lens!??

Give it a try (tell them you have broken 2 ;-)

Christoph Hopf September 6th, 2004 11:00 AM

my aunt lives in munich, and works for arri. maybe she know one of the p&s guys. i will call her. next week i should know if i can buy the relay lense alone

Anders Floe September 6th, 2004 11:37 AM

That sounds really nice! I have been considering buying one from the start but haven't because of the price. So if it's possible for you to buy it seperately I really want to buy one as well.

Dietmar Zonewicz September 12th, 2004 02:12 AM

you needn't call her it is possible.

Part No. 18770 Mini35Digital connecting kit for Canon XL1 / XL1s, incl. Intermediate lens, plate for fixing the video camera, adapter for Canon battery , ergonomic holder for color finder.
Price: 1530,00 EUR

source: www.pstechnik.de