Xl2 platform successfully fixed but ... ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Xl2 platform successfully fixed , but ... ?

Hi !

I received the XL2 platform today, thanks to ZGC & CHris !

And I installed this part without problem, but the pad (H) and his screw does not arrive has to center with the hole below the xl2... thus I not screwing the mini35 little has the XL2 !

I have approximately 1/4 of inches which separates the hole from the XL2 and of mini35 screws!

the sliding pad cannot further go, because it rests on the frame mini35 too early! what makes impossible the fixing of the mini35 and of the XL2
do you have an idea !?

Thanks for all !
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Daniel,

I am experiencing the same problem and although I have not found the solution I believe I have found the reason behind the problem, which unfortunately does not seem easily fixable. I will be contacting the folks at ZGC on Monday.

I found the source of the problem when trying to mount the XL2 to the mini35 in the reverse order than you did. Instead of mounting the XL2 with mini35 relay lens to the mini35 image converter and then trying to get the base plate screw into the bottom of the XL2, I mounted the XL2 with relay lens to the base platform first, and then tried sliding the XL2 towards the mini35 image converter locking ring... it is short by about 1/4 inch just like you said.

The problem is the base platform can not slide any further towards the mini35 image converter because of the mini35 main base plate (used for mounting to tripods.)

Here's a visual description of the problem:

1) Relay lens attached to XL2, mount the XL2 to mini35 sping loaded base/pad www.starcentral.ca/images/DSC01032.jpg

2) Slide the XL2 on base/pad towards mini35 digital image converter www.starcentral.ca/images/DSC01033.jpg

3) The relay lens can not reach the locking ring of the mini35 image coverter because the base platform reaches the mini35 main base plate. www.starcentral.ca/images/DSC01034.jpg

I am beginning to suspect that the XL2 platform kit we bought from ZGC works fine with the newer series 400 mini35, but maybe not our older series 300 units. Eric MacIver just finished a short film using the XL2 and mini35 so it would be interesting to ask him what version mini35 he used and if he experienced any mounting problems.

I have to say I'll be quite disappointment if it turns out not a lot of thought was put into a product/system most of us have invested $20,000 into so far...
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

remove 1/4 of inches

Then , im not the only one to be in this situation !

It will be necessary to await Dennis, but I believe that the solution will be to remove 1/4 of inches at the base platform or directly on the main base plate of the mini35 !
But on the main base are not the best solution ,because of the vibration which could cause handling and the disarrangement that that would cause for the mini35

well will be seen !

Thanks Dennis !
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #4
Sponsor: ZGC

Hello Dennis and Daniel,

The solution to your problem is to machine the bottom plate to give it just enough clearance for the support bracket to slide by it.
The operation is minor and easy to have done at most machine shop.
I can do it here in my shop and turn it around the same day at no extra cost except for shipping. It is would be easiest to remove the base plate attached by four hex screws and just ship that piece. Let me know because I travel at the end of the week.
If you want to have it done locally I will see if I have some pictures that can be emailed directly to you.
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Guy,

Yes granted its a solution but sorry its not what I would consider to be an acceptable one. Many of us have spent over $16,000 for a mini35 XL2 system - I'd like to see a solution from PS Technik that does not involve grinding metal.

Remember also if we are ever to resell our mini35's, the fact it was not kept original will surely lower its value.

Has ZGC spoken to PS Technik about this problem? Does PS Technik intend to do anything about this? When our orders for the XL2 kit were placed was it not known that it would not work properly?

Thanks for your reply.
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #6

Dennis,

I suggested this immediate solution in order to minimize the down time.
P&S has offered a similar solution when the first two cases became known. You are case three and four with Daniel.
There have been different combinations of body and relay over time. In most cases the XL2 retrofit kit works without modification of the main unit.
I will see with P+S Technik if and when they could supply a new bottom plate.

I will let you know as soon as there is an answer.
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #7
Trustee

Just an update for everyone,

This week I received word from PS Technik who provided me with a technical document illustrating where to grind and cut the mini35 base platform to get it to work properly with the XL2 by Canon. It appears this is the official solution for getting the series 300 units working with the XL2.
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

not me

Why I did not receive this document ?
However I am in the same situation as Dennis!
For which reason?

DENNIS SAID : This week I received word from PS Technik who provided me with a technical document illustrating where to grind and cut the mini35 base platform to get it to work properly with the XL2 by Canon
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM   #9
Trustee

This is the technical document issued by PS Technik Germany:

www.starcentral.ca/images/Technicaldoc_65.pdf
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Dennis ,but the pieces i choose to be machine are the other one ,with the sliding cylinder !
Thanks
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:55 PM   #11
Trustee

Daniel,

Do you have a diagram of which pieces you are machining? I am curious to know all my options before putting my mini35 under the knife... or in this case power saw.

Thanks
Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Dennis

I machined my main base plate today ,and that's work very well !
The metal is composed of aluminium, very easy to cut with a saw has iron (hand saw ?) !
And it's what I used !
5 minutes of work only !
I used the diagram that P+S sent to you and I made according to the diagram !

My mini35 + xl2 is completely functional now !

I would have liked that P+S technic is more far-sighted, but all goes well now !
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #13
Trustee

No Machining Required - it's true!

Well after thinking through different options so I would NOT have to machine my mini35, I'm proud to say I came up with a very simple, cheap and practical solution.

You will still need the new base platform for the XL2, but instead of having your main base plate machined so the cylinder will slide over it, or hacking the corners off with a hacksaw.. all you need to do is put a 2-3mm shim between the main base plate and the mini35, drill holes in the shim for the 4 screws, pop the 4 allan screws back in and you're done. The 2-3mm space is enough to allow the cylinders to clear the main base plate and NO hacking or cutting is necessary.

The measurements for the shim I used was 1.5 x 3.5 inches.

- Proud owner of an all original mini35 with XL2 !
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #14

Hello Dennis,

There is one raison why I did not suggest the solution you chose, you have effectively changed the distance of the center of the lens to the bottom of the plate. There is one possible configuration where this could be a problem; if you use a full bridge plate and rod system (the kind that is mounted directly on the tripod), the mattebox and possibly the follow focus will be 2mm too low. There is some adjustment in the mattebox but it is not guarantied that it will be enough to reach the center of the lens. P+S has been very careful to respect the Arriflex standard so all their accessories work without readjustment. However if you plan to use exclusively the light-weight rod system built in the adaptor, your solution is perfectly acceptable.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #15
Trustee

It still would have been nice to have known it was an option ;) Still I appreciate all your efforts, no worries and thanks.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods