:60 mockumentary spot w/ Mini35, DVX100a at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #1
Wrangler

:60 mockumentary spot w/ Mini35, DVX100a

Here's a spot I shot and edited recently; think you guys might enjoy it. It's in the Christopher Guest mockumentary vein. We shot the testimonial section with a Mini35/DVX100a and two standard DVX setups for the classroom.

The actor playing the acting coach improvised the whole thing. The footage will eventually be made into a short film. It's priceless stuff, I had a hard time shooting it while suppressing the giggles. My actress girlfriend (who is the poor soul face-planting off the stairs) tells me that this is barely exaggerated from some of the acting classes she's attended--scary!

The spot was directed by Ahmed Best, a very nice chap who happens to have played Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars 1-3.

http://homepage.mac.com/chupap/Film/...Theater32.html
Old October 27th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Charles,

That was hilarious. You totally captured the whole Christopher Guest feel to it. Really funny. Nice job.

Josh
Josh Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I second that, it was great!

About the DVX without the mini35... people talk about its look resembling film the most... I can't say that I agree at all. I've watched a lot of footage from dvxuser.com and other sources, it looks very "videoish" to me in motion (as opposed to screengrabs). Charles, of course you were trying to make a distinction within the two looks.

Some examples of DV footage I've liked:

"The Seinfeld Amex ads" XL1s and mini35
"Precursor" by Rich Lee on XL1 and heavy image manipulation in post.
"Marla" on GL1 (!!), homemade mini35 and heavy post image manip.

Of couse, shooting conditions make any configuration look good or bad, I've even disliked some mini35 footage, but I've never been excited by straight DVX footage, like I was for the examples above.
Alex Cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

Thanks gents.

I didn't sweat the straight DVX look, since I had to light the room to be able to shoot nearly 300 degrees with two cameras in a documentary fashion. We were shooting down and dirty. However, I do feel that it would be entirely possible to make cinematic images with the camera even without the Mini35. But I do miss my Xl1 a little bit sometimes...

Glad you liked the Seinfeld ads, too!
Old November 9th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Charles, could you please tell me which lens you used for the talking head dolly shot. Also did you color correct in post or how did you get the blue tint in the bg/blacks?
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Followup: BTW I loved the look, also could you tell me which light you keyed with?
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #7
Wrangler

Dan:

The dolly shot was either a 50mm or an 85mm, I'm afraid I forgot! We moved the track closer to get the tighter version rather than go for a longer lens to keep the move smooth (it's tougher to operate a non-riding dolly with a long lens also).

I did do some color correction on the piece. If I recall, I isolated the skin tones (in FCP4), then cooled off everything else.

The key light was two 1200 HMI Pars bounced into a 12x griffolyn with 1/4 CTO. A 4x4 solid was placed to the left as negative fill. For the "documentary" stuff, the same par/griff setup was moved against one wall, the overhead lights were turned on, and away we went.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #8
Major Player

you had a 12x Griffolyon!
http://agencyb.typepad.com/photos/un...zed/b0_1_b.jpg

you get those imported?
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Wrangler

Hee hee! Yeah, he was really helpful when it came to moving the big pieces of gear around, although he cast a bit of a blue shade to the bounced light...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods