35mm zoom and DOF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 5th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm zoom and DOF

I am interested in purchasing a 35mm zooms lens, like a cooke 20-100mm. However the fastest zoom lens seems to be 3.1 . Would this lens be able to get the shallow depth of field as my 1.4 primes? Do you think a 3.1 zoom lens would be practicle in terms of exposure and DOF for this system or just a waste of money? I know that films have been shot with zooms. Any advise on zoom lenses would be appreciated.
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Dan,

To answer your question, an f3.1 lens will not deliver the shallow depth of field of an f1.4 lens. To evaluate whether or not you are willing to live with the compromise, you can simply dial your prime lens to that stop (call it a 2.8 and a half for all practical purposes) and see if the results are something you can live with.

Exposure-wise, you are putting yourself into a challenging situation as far as interiors go with this slow of a lens coupled with the light loss of the Mini35. Be prepared for some big lighting units!

I have used zooms with this system (see my article on the Seinfeld/Amex spots and it's great as long as you have enough light to accomodate, as well as the proper support gear (heavy-duty head/sticks, zoom motor and controller, appropriate mattebox etc).
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #3
Sponsor: ZGC

Hi Dan,

I will have to caution you about trying to use a Cooke 20-100 zoom lens on the Mini35. This particular lens was designed before the full frame was widely used as a film format. It was designed to cover only the academy format (that preserves the optical audio on the side of the frame). On the Mini 35, the corners of the full frame will have a visible light loss. Most of the zooms except the most recent have this problem.

Guy Genin.
ZGC Inc.
Old November 6th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #4
Wrangler

Guy:

Interesting, that's news to me. I guess I always assumed the Mini35 used Academy framing. So, is it effectively the same as the Super 35 TV frame (sometimes known as BigTV?). Thus I should assume wider field of view for a given focal length than a standard TV "pumpkin"?
Old November 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Guy,
Thanks as always for the great tech support and info.
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Can somebody who knows, please tell exactly what the captured image size on the mini35 ground glass is? Is it 24 x 36 mm (still) or 21 x 15,3 mm (cine)?
Chris Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's cine, not still.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods