an easier solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 27th, 2004, 02:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

an easier solution?

hi, i saw a guy with a homemade mini35, and he put a canon SLR lens on it (a relatively in expensive one). he turned on the motor and it was AMAZING!.

but what if i bought that lens, and a canon XL1s EF adapter and put THAT on my XL...... would i get the same effect? why or why not?-- assuming i'd also get a wide angle lens to kill that disgusting 7.2x magnification. would i be looking at the same DEPTH OF FIELD?

thx
-arthur
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

you cant kill that 7.2x magnification by using a wide angle lense. the focal length is still 7.2x, just the new focal length will be lower cause you used a lense with a low focal length (100mm - 720mm, 15mm - 108mm).
but that construction doesn't change the depth of field. that home made mini35 uses a special construction to imitate the mini35, but its still a optical system (with old photo cameras or rotating fake cd's ect), the ef adapter is a mechanical adapter. i suppose it was invented to use the xl-1 for filming wildlife or reasons where a extreme high focal length is needed
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Major Player

DOF depends on focal lens. The loger the focal lens, the shorter the DOF.
So, using a very wide lens (to "kill" the 7.2X magnification) means you get a very long DOF. Actualy, the lens you're already using on your XL1S is a very wide lens. 7.2X wider then a "normal" (like the canon SLR you talked about) lens. That's why you get that long DOF.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods