Ground Glass Grain - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 24th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #46
Regular Crew

I find Aftereffects most convenient for jobs like this, because you have to create a project like Bob suggested only once. With every new clip, you just replace the incoming file and you're done. Aftereffects also supports realtime preview (given your system can handle it).

The 'layer stacking' Bob describes seems to be the same as native 'echo' function in aftereffects. I've used it to clean up nighttime footage in music videos I've done.

Chris
Chris Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #47
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Rubin : I find Aftereffects most convenient for jobs like this, because you have to create a project like Bob suggested only once. With every new clip, you just replace the incoming file and you're done. Aftereffects also supports realtime preview (given your system can handle it).

The 'layer stacking' Bob describes seems to be the same as native 'echo' function in aftereffects. I've used it to clean up nighttime footage in music videos I've done.

Chris -->>>

You should be able to just replace media in Vegas, too. Ditto the realtime preview.

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 03:33 PM   #48
Major Player

static adapter

hi everyone I sent a email to cris hurd with a photo of the static adapter .I will be linking to it soon
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM   #49
Major Player

I've been trying to replicate Chris's results using Vegas with mixed progress.

In Vegas, I'm running the inverted grain image along a track, and parenting it to a copy of the footage I'm degraining. Then, I set the grain track to luma mask, and on the copy of the footage (the composite child), I'm adjusting luma up, to bring the darker grain of the image within the range of the brighter grain of the original footage.

All of this is placed over the original footage, left untouched.

I will say it *supresses* the grain, but does not remove it entirely -- it looks good for stills, but in motion it doesn't add up to a 100% grainless image, and in reality there's little aesthetic difference between one kind of grain and the other.

I tried the AE 6.5 demo today, just to see if AE would treat the image differently than Vegas using Chris's technique -- the results aren't as good as I got with Vegas, but I'm left with the impression that with a little tweaking, I could get them close to one another. Still, it's not a completely grainless image.

I'd like to be proven wrong -- Chris, if you've got some footage to show at full DV res, I'd be happy to host it for a bit. I'd really like to see the results in motion...

- jim
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM   #50
Major Player

just wandering - did anyone tryed to subtract grain with "digital fusion" (probably now "maya fusion")?
some time ago i saw brilliant results with that software, but i never use it.
maybe someone has expirience with it?

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM   #51
Major Player

I'm not sure of this but you could try using After Effect's (6.5 pro) degrainer to do this task. I know you have to sample the footage first - perhaps you could use the grain image as this sample? I think AE will literally perform a subtraction (not just a manipulation of overlay settings).
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM   #52
Major Player

grain

Hi everyone: If anybody has info on this one too.

http://www.retouchpro.com/reviews/grainsurgery/
Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Richard,

I have seen footage that was treated with Grain Surgery and the results were stunning.

On another note I was talking to a friend who is involved in sandblasting and he says he can get a finish down to 3 microns so I was wondering what would be the ideal finish for frosting glass in microns or grit rating?
John Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:31 AM   #54
Regular Crew

I'm sorry, but grain surgery just doesn't do it. Just blurs your fine detail. If you want good results, the only decent noise reduction plug-in I'm aware of is NeatImage. But whatever you use, the video will still look 'doctored'.

Chris
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM   #55
Major Player

Chris, I know for a fact that it does more than blur fine detail. You literally sample an area of the frame and the software attempts to intelligently remove the noise. Doesn't always work well of course but it can work amazingly well when done correctly.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:57 AM   #56
Major Player

Chris,

Any chance we can see some footage using your method?

I'm not getting stellar results and I'm worried it's just because I'm missing something...

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:16 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I'll post my tests as soon as I get my adapter assembed again (in a few weeks probably). I designed a new adapter with threaded tubes (enables me to adjust the gg distance from both the camera lens and the 35mm lens on the fly) and I'm waiting for the parts to be finished.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:32 PM   #58
Major Player

static adapter

I have been thinking about adding this part.

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetai...roduct_ID=1486
Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #59
Major Player

Richard, when are you going to e-mail out some information on the finished adaptor you were talking about?
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #60
Major Player

35mm adapter parts list

hi everyone: this is a link to a new thread with complete parts list
and photo

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=37296
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods