A cooky idea at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 24th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #1
Major Player

A cooky idea

Having nearly no background in film (I'm a poor engineering student) I'm never sure if my ideas sound sorta rediculous, but I've been reading through some of the archives of this forum and have found alot of people talking about using still digital SLR's to record near hi-def images. Some noted the canon eos1 could go almost 10fps for up to 40frames. I have two interesting ideas.

First is it possible to increase the buffer size dramatically? If the buffer could be replaced by a large memory...of course it would have to be very lage (holding 1440 images for a minute of footage). Then perhaps the buffer could be dumped directly to a disk harddrive instead of a card.

Second, as a method to reach the goal of 24fps, would it be possible to have some sort of prism/image splitter that would send the same image to two SLR's which could be designed to shoot at intermittent rates? I mainly question the optics part (I know absolutely nothing about optics) I'm fairly sure making something to shoot this way would be relatively easy. Of course this assumes that the lag time between shots wouldn't cause the camera to try and dump its buffer and create a delay.

Matt
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Matt,
The shutter/mirror mechanism of the cameras has a limited life of actuations. I don't know exactly how many, but it is in low 100k. Maybe with some other capture software, an open shutter with external trigger might do it.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 01:18 AM   #3
Major Player

hmm ok

Well how about we do this. Instead of using an entire SLR camera, we just split the image to hit two CCD's. Those CCD's then take pictures intermittently. Then all you need is a way to arrange the frames properly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are refering to is only in SLR cameras in order to keep the image on the viewfinder. In this case the beam-splitting prism takes care of that and we are ignoring the view finders of the original ccd (or SLR).
Old December 25th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #4
Major Player

On a related note

On a related note: Does anyone know how to go about buying a few ccd sensors? I'm really interested in these:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0302/03...tmel8mpccd.asp
Old December 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Have you checked out the big threads in this forum? The idea of
getting better camera's have been around here for a while with
some succes, but it is not an easy thing to do.

We have threads on:

- building our own camera with CMOS technology (Rai & Steffen are finished, Obin is close)
- getting uncompressed out of a normal DV camera (Juan already did this)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods