IMAGE FLIP/FLOP Group's new assignement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Major Player

IMAGE FLIP/FLOP Group's new assignement

In an effort to "minimize the discomfort" of watching an image reversed U/D and L/R (as projected by a lens on a surface and possibly recoded by a camcorder), here is a thought:

The image from a lens (prime or zoom) is reversed on a surface at the focal plane. (As in any camcorder/still/MP camera)

Now......

A camcorder does not display the image as projected on the CCD!!!

Right?

That means that there is a "litle devil" in there that flips the pic.

Right?

Now...

If an image from a lens ends up on a screen/GG (reversed U/D and L/R) and the camcorder records THAT image (as is) that means that a
"normal" image can be obtained without prisms and mirrors. (Bingo?) Anyone ?

But who's to go "in there" to find that iresponsable "litle devil" that scews-up the pic in the first place? (I aint going, but maibe someone will.....)

For all seeking a sloution to any 35mm adapters, THIS might be easier than
flipping ALLWAYS ALL the footage in post? (and the monitor's image for framing) (or having big and heavy optics in front of the lens to do the "dirty"......)

Would it not?...... just a thought..................(while waiting for parts)
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Major Player

This could probably be done but I don't know too many people who would be willing to rip into their cameras to experiment - especially those with a DVX or other costly camera. The guy who ripped into the FX1 was crazy enough as it is!
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

dan,

this thing is already mentioned in similar way on other threads connected with agus/aldu things.

in my opinion the easiest thing on the earth will be to turn that CCD upside down, and you do not need any electronics or programing. but usually - at least as far as i know - those elements are for obvious reason connected with other vital electronics via very short connector and you can not turn it upside down just like that. but at least you can try.

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you both,

On a second thought, if the image was to be upright in the monitor (assuming someone would pull the right "pins" to Gnd
and recorded "straight" on tape, that would be exported as "flipped".

The monitor flip might be indeed the closest to implement (it needs 2 flips though) but that leaves to post the "real" flipping. I am not talking about a quick "on the fly" for editing. I had in mind HD footage. (more info on each frame)
But computers are getting better and cheaper every day....

Anyway, the idea was that flip/flop is by far easier and less expensive when done electronically than using optics (and precise mechanic mounts for them) Sorry for repeating an older topic.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Major Player

If my understanding of how a ccd works is correct....there isn't technically a flip done at any point in the electroinics because the image is never assembled in digital form upside down. If you simplify the concept and think of it as just a verticle row of pixels...the pixels are read serially and placed into a stack in last in first out order (I think). In other words...it just reads from the bottom up.

I haven't studied ccd or cmos technology extensively though...that is just sort of a guess...but what I'm saying is that there is no reason the image would ever be taken in digital form as an upside down image...and thus there is technically no programming to remove to bring it back to its original upside down form. Just think about Juans mod...he is getting the original ccd image before processing..and it is not upside down.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods