DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Micro35 (original thread) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/37830-micro35-original-thread.html)

James Hurd January 15th, 2005 10:29 PM

Micro35

Hey guys,
Well, I've finally resolved my abberation problems with my macro. I ended up making my own. I bought enough parts to make many more as well. So overcoming this milestone allowed me to move on to completing the production grade micro35. I'll be releasing a guide on how to do it yourself. I'll also be selling the parts online for you guys that live in the sticks. And all you guys with two left hands, I'll assemble them for you as well. I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore "test looking" shots. But here goes anyways... I'm very happy with it and its size (3"x4") and the new rail setup.

15MB (Please download to your computer)
www.micro35.com/micro35.wmv

For all you guys that emailed me and anyone interested, please check out www.micro35.com and get on the list!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

Kyle Cutshaw January 16th, 2005 03:19 AM

First off, wow! that looks great! Looks like true 35mm. Did you shoot that off the dvx-100a?

Filip Kovcin January 16th, 2005 09:51 AM

exellent footage.

i noticed really minor "rotating" atrefacts in brighter parts of the shot. (i.e. when sky is somehow in the frame) or it is due to compression?

filip

James Hurd January 16th, 2005 12:08 PM

DVX100A!! And I love iT!

I messed up an shot it with my first rev GG.... I'm shooting a music video with it in the next few weeks so I'll have some production footage available. Until then, keep a lookout for the guide!

Jim Lafferty January 16th, 2005 02:02 PM

Looks great -- I see the spinning in the sky, too :/

I assume you've got pics of the rig coming? Spinning/oscillating rigs produce the best images so far, but generally seem prohibitively bulky to me.

- jim

Brett Erskine January 16th, 2005 02:15 PM

James remind me again...Are you rotating the GG or oscillating it? If your rotating it what size is the image your framing up on the GG? And if your rotating it are you filming the GG off center or right in the middle? Excellent footage btw! I see a acceptable amount of sharpness in the compressed footage. Im downloading the uncompressed version of the file right now. Cant wait to see what it can do. Could you shoot a rez chart both with and without? Thanks again. It looks like all of your hard work paid off!

James Hurd January 16th, 2005 02:39 PM

It's not bulky at all. I shot some steadicam stuff with it and it flies great. I would have stuck it in the test video, but it wasn't very "horsey".

www.micro35.com/m351.jpg
www.micro35.com/m352.jpg

Sorry for the goofy light. I've been too lazy to take it off.

Brett, I used your framing pic to size up the frame. (It's off center). Again, I screwed up and used to first gg. it was a bit spotty. Sharpness is really sweet... I used a rez chart printed on a 13"x19" printer during the development. This was my first day of getting it out of the house. You'll be amazed of how simple and cheap it is to build. It won't require any machining etc.

I'm planning on taking the rig down to a production house close by. I plan on doing some real tests with different lens, follow focuses etc. for the guide...

Kyle, can I quote you on that? ("First off, wow! that looks great! Looks like true 35mm.")

Thanks again for the comments!

Kyle Edwards January 16th, 2005 03:53 PM

Can't wait for the guide.

Dillon Thomas January 16th, 2005 04:44 PM

Dude.

I want one.

Count me in to buy the guide or buy the apparatus.

Thanks!

Dillon

Jim Lafferty January 17th, 2005 12:59 AM

"It's not bulky at all."

You say that and yet I don't see many pictures with it on your shoulder :)

Good luck -- congrats on the quality of the footage -- it's superb.

- jim

Brett Erskine January 17th, 2005 01:15 AM

So its rotating - not oscillating? Hows the noise? RPMS? Again great job. Just trying to figure out if I should get my check book out.

Kyle Cutshaw January 17th, 2005 03:27 AM

Sure you can quote me! lol

Rabi Syid January 17th, 2005 03:49 AM

Count me in. When will the guide be ready?

lilbowrabi@hotmail.com

James Hurd January 17th, 2005 10:21 AM

Hey Brett,
It is completly silent with zero vibration!

Thanks again guys!

Mateusz Metelski January 17th, 2005 03:55 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post.

James,

will your guide be useful for European people like me? I mean, does it describe dimensions in metric system as well as in inches? Also does Micro35 contain parts that cannot be obtained outside the US?

Thanks for such an amazing device! I'm already on your list.

Mateusz