Telescope/Binoculars question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Telescope/Binoculars question

I found an old set of Binoculars which I took apart, trying to figure out this whole 35mm/Aldus/Agus35 thing. What I am constantly struggling with is defining what is what : for example :

The eye piece of the binoculars ( I am assuming this works the same in Telescopes) when taken apart, is very fuzzy and I cannot see through it at all - like looking through coke bottle glasses! But when I take the front part of the binoculars (I am guessing these all just magnifying glasses?), and hold it a certain distance away from the eyepiece, a clear magnified picture comes into view - correctly, right-side up and left to right.
So does this mean the eye-piece is a macro lens?

To add to the confusion, I found a decent KIRON macro TUBE lens yesterday for $20.00. I grabbed it without thinking because I want to learn a little anyways. This lens is 80-200mm f/4 MACRO 1:4 - but after reading a little more, why is the lens so darn big? I thought macro lenses were little filters that took up about 1cm in width?

Ok, so back to the experiment, again, I put the macro tube up to my eyes and put the Front of the binocular glass a little distance away and voila! An image comes through, but upside down!

So what happened here? Why did the eye-piece have the image right-side up working the same way as the KIRON macro lens, but the macro lens was upside down?

Confused? You bet.

Thanks
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods