Digital Video Survillance question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 31st, 2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Digital Video Survillance question

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I' m looking into a camera security system that I can access through the internet through a dsl or cable connection.
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You never really asked a question. But Ill infer you are asking about what kinds. I work in security systems and have done some cctv work. You need a DVR system to do this well. My personal recomendation would be Intagral's First Line system. But You gave no Perameters for your project needs. Small home system or Multi story Commercial Property. You are installing or someone else. Number of cameras needed. Length of Record needed. Details Its all in the details. AND PRICE.
Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry Chris for not being too clear. The type of system that I'm looking for is designed for a small bussiness owner. He wants to have up to 4 cameras and be able to monitor them remotelly through an internet connection. I think his budget is about $1,500. One of his objectives is to be able to monitor his employees. If the cameras don't require cables (wireless) it's a plus.

Thanks for your help
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Thhere are security cammeras that have an inbuilt server, each unit has it's own IP address, and they are not much bigger than an ordinary one. Don't know about wireless...
Do search for similar products:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...Max=&SUBCATID= or
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...Max=&SUBCATID=
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Major Player

I have seen it done once, but it was using a rather high end system...and I want to say the price installed came to around $11,000. Of course, this included a few features that probably aren't necessary.

Do you think perhaps it is possible to do this using webcams? That would be pretty cheap. You just have to get over the problem of whether or not the devices will conflict. More than likely you won't be able to get 4 simultaneous videos with this, but you will get 4 cameras you can switch between. Also, this would probably be a hundred times simplier using a linux or freebsd as your server than if you try to do it with windows.

Here is a link you may find useful:
http://www.exploits.org/v4l/
(scroll down to video/security/monitoring)

Alternatively, you could get a few CCD cameras and run them to a device to switch that would change feeds on a timer, and run that output to a video capture card. In that case you wouldn't have control over which camera you can see, but you would see every camera for a set amount of time on a cycle...I don't know if that is enough for your needs.

Its hard to say...there is alot of give and take depending on how you impliment it. Certain ways make you lose some features, and others don't...it all depends on what you can do without.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Matt. As I write I'm forwarding your link to the person working for this project. Being into cameras sometimes people think that I know everything about them. This security project is for a friend of mine that called me and asked me if I knew how this whole thing works. I have learned something myself by posting and reading these answers. Typing DVR in the web gives so much info that you don't know where to look for the right equipment and technology. One of the key things here is the dynamic implementation of IP which I think not all systems support it. His budget is no more than $1500. I'll post when I get more detail info on what he is getting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods