Flipping image by lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 31st, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Flipping image by lens

A main problem handling the homebuilt 35mm-adapter is the flipped image, upside down as well as right to left. I'd like to discuss a simple idea that seems to be a possible solution.

www.bodyhey.com/big_screen.gif

I would avoid a hotspot by using a glasscreen:

www.glasscreen.com

By blowing up the picture from 35mm diameter to about 60mm you maybe don't even need a diopter and have increased resolution.

cheers,
martin
Martin Diruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Major Player

one thing i have been wondering is if theres an element in the 35mm lens that flips the image... i havent got an old broken lens to take it apart and find out... but im guessing its mirrors? but maybe glass? if so is there a way to adapt to a mini35 of anykind?
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:54 AM   #3
New Boot

Well, there is no mirror inside a 35mm objective, it's the lens itself. With a convex, magnifying lens parallel rays of light are focused in one point (until then the picture is upright) After that point, the picture you'll get is upside down.

This linke explains it by the method, a telescope works.

http://members.shaw.ca/quadibloc/science/opt01.htm
Martin Diruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #4
New Boot

Martin D-
I've considered this option as well. The problem with this scherme (http://www.bodyhey.com/big_screen.gif) is that the DOF will be affected. More DOF, less DOF... I don't know. Secondly, this will probobly make the lens adaptor quite long and not very efficient in terms of light loss.
Martin Hesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't see any reason the DOF would have to be affected. If you placed the lens inbetween the GG and the 35mm lens you would inevitably affect the focal length. However, if you placed it behind the ground glass you would get the same affect without the problems associated with the other method.

Adding a single element shouldn't affect light loss much at all - assuming you use a decent coated element.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #6
New Boot

"I don't see any reason the DOF would have to be affected. If you placed the lens in between the GG and the 35mm lens you would inevitably affect the focal length."
Yes, I agree. Martin D's drawing shows the "field" lens between the 35mm format lens and the GG. Placing the field lens after the GG would be a better option.
I doubt that you can use just one single element. Multiple elements would have to be used to achieve this task. In this process you're bound to loose at least a stop and a half at least.
Martin Hesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #7
Major Player

One should be enough if you get the right focal length and distance from the GG and the video cameras lens. It would take some intentional design though. It wouldn't be as simple as most stuff.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Wouldn't it need to be at least a doublet, to reduce chromatic abberation?
Steve Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #9
Major Player

Oh absolutely. I mean, just one lens should be enough (a muli-element lens but only one of them). I hope that made sense.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods