Online Pro35 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Online Pro35 footage

Just finished a series of spots for a youth anti smoking campain.

SDX900/Pro35/Ziess super speeds. 16:9 24p DVC50 mode

Color correction by Jeff Tillotson at Flying Spot in Seattle.
More to follow:

http://www.jasonbrunner.com/shield

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net
http://www.jasonbrunner.com
http://www.fleurpost.net

(Thats just, like, my opinion, man)
Jason Brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You rock Jason. Simple. Funny. Effective. Great spot!

peace
Jesse Rosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

color correccion

Jason:

Wich process and/or software did you use to make that color correcction?

Great photography and color. Good job.
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The basic equipment used is as follows, but the most powerfull element is Jeff at the helm.

DaVinci 2KPlus Color Corrector
8 Power Windows with 4 channels of color processing
Defocus

Output to digibeta

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #5
New Boot

Feature film with HDW F900/Pro35/Zeiss Primes

I wrote and directed a feature called Hula Gods (hulagods.com) in which we used the Sony F900, the Pro35 adapter and a set of Zeiss Primes. The first five minutes of the film is downloadable on the website as well as the trailer. The trailer features some "overcranking" of the F900 in which 60i was deinterlaced to 24p. I was very happy with the Pro35 adapter and had minimal problems using it during filming.

Rob
Robert Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #6
Wrangler

Jason, very funny!

Since you are clearly accomplished (peeked at some of your other work), I feel like I can be a little more nitpicky--hope that's OK with you. I found it a bit disconcerting that the 1st character ducked out of frame several times--I think the operating could have been more active, more on the ball here. Especially with the cut to the wide static, I think the increased energy of "staying with" the guy's frenetic movements would have been appropriate.

Also the profile wide shot: the other chap is hard pinned to the right of the frame, which I would guess on a regular overscanned monitor would cut him off partially or entirely? Perhaps this internet version is already cropped?

Again, nitpicky, but great job.

Hey, do you know a Salt Lake photographer named Nick Sokoloff by any chance?

Best,
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Funny spot, very droll. Charles is right, the opening shot is not quite professionally framed.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Wrangler

Far be it for me to contradict the sage advice of esteemed colleagues above.

But I didn't find any of the framing stylization disconcerting.

Great work, and very funny! Do I detect a bit of influence from Napoleon Dynamite?

There's also some sort of travelling campus trivia competition being advertised that features a Napoleon Dynamite clone.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #9
New Boot

Hey man i like it looks great. Again the only thing that gets my attention (not shure if ots good or bad) that guy 'lags' from the fame for a second then you turn the cam a bit and he is framed right again. I actialy think that it adds to the sort of dirty real life sort of vibe that i get from it anyway i like it. Did you write it as well.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Brunner replies

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, and yes Charles, I welcome all thoughtfull comments, and I hold no honest observation between colleages as anything but constructive.

I had neglected to post the rest of these spots, and so now I have done so.

http://www.jasonbrunner.com/sm.html

Those who take a look at the entire series will see a theme of quirky operating, odd framing, people lingering outside of safe, etc. The quirky nature of the visual work is by design, and is, as such, intended.

The reasonings behind the approach were carefully considered, and constantly, agonizingly, second guessed by myself, and the creator/writer/co-director.(Charles Haskell) In the end, we took the chance, (my crew thought I'd lost it) and in the end have succeeded with the target demographic. If was helped by the visual approach, or in spite of it, is unknown.

The idea behind the spots was this: Everything we had done thus far was, as far as the target demographic was concerned, (youth at risk to smoke) "stupid" and studies showed anything we could do, was "stupid" and further showed that they thought nearly everything outside their demo was "stupid". So we created spots that pretty much admit to stupidity on our part, concerning the demo.

It's meant to be different looking too, since its targeted to a generation that has never had much of anything but slick, fast, jerky, maximum synapse production. Of course, that is not all production, but it is a great deal of what this demo is exposed to, and expects, hence, the anti-visual.

I meant for the kids to have to examine the frame, figure out who is that over on the edge, feel odd, because they don't know thats too much head room, not enough nose room, where'd he go? feels green, dude looks pasty, (kind of like a car wreck). A few moments of their precious attention.

"Dude, don't let your drawbridge down!" is a now common phrase in Jr. Highs,
in the regions these spots have aired.

That it is noticed here, means I accomplished what I set out to do, and in doing so, screwed convention for a reason.

I honestly don't know if it has helped the overall effectiveness of the spots, but that is the intention.

I have never seen Napolean Dynamite, except for a piece of the dailies the gaffer showed me over at his house when it was nothing. It was kids on a bus. I was like, that's interesting. Shows what I know.

Charles, I don't think I have met Nick, but his name has orbited around the valley for some time.

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #11
Wrangler

Watched 'em all. Now I get where you are going with this framing thing--it's fun. I love the shot in the gym with just a little bit of a head in the foreground representing the audience in the bleachers. It's a fun look and it served the material well (and how great that the target demo has responded to it!)

cool beans. Or, in a pathetic attempt for a 39 yr old to co-opt the vernacular--tight, dude, really bangin'.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #12
Major Player

they are all frickin' hilarious. And we know major headroom is a current style in commericials.

I still wanted to see some well-framed closeups though.

Great work.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Struthers
they are all frickin' hilarious. And we know major headroom is a current style in commericials.

I still wanted to see some well-framed closeups though.

Great work.
More close ups exist, like in "Shield", but they were not used.
(Against my advice.)

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Jason,
Only say the 'Shield' commercial. The writing and the acting are great!! I just read your comment about the CU's missing. It's too bad they're not there; the lack of CU's, reacts, and subsequent non-flow and potential hilarity of the piece essentially ruin what was a great piece of writing, casting, and directing of actors on your part. The editor and agency should not be proud.
Best of Luck
Anthony Gratl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Yeah man, this is great, verry funny.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods