Various M35 topics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 1st, 2005, 03:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Various M35 topics

Using pre-Assembled version with existing rails/support

I'm currently using a 4x4 Chrosziel MB (it's the 411-53 complete with french flag/side wings and 15mm support rods) with my DVX100A and of course I'm interested if I would be able to still use most of this stuff with a pre-assembled version of the Micro35.
So for folks like me there should be a version available only including the unit itself and no supporting system at all I guess.
Of course I will have to get extension rods because of the additional length required when mounting the Micro35 + lenses in between the MB and the DVX.
Furthermore I would be interested (because of my limited 35mm lense knowledge) if the 411-53 would be okay with most commonly used 35mm lenses in regard to vignetting etc.
Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers,
-Sören

PS: James did I interpret your last posts correctly and you started manufacturing of pre-assembled units? How much would something like that (adapter without support/rods/rails) cost me - and is there already a (long?!) queue set up (=how many weeks/months waiting time is there already ;o) in regard to pre-assembled units...
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Micro35

Soeren,
I don't have a price for just the adapter without rails. If more people ask for this option, I'll probably create a price for it. I'm breaking down everything into parts for everyone to order from now. So if you just need a gg, then you'll be able to buy one.

You can get really wide with 35mm lenses and my guess is that you'll start to vignetting at some point. I just got a 12-24mm Sigma and I'm sure it would vignette at 12.

I'm selectivly taking DVX100A orders to help get the production line finalized.

James
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks James for taking the time!

Well if you need a case/user in regard to pre-assembled kit usage with existing Chrosziel support & rods etc. - count me in! ;-P

So the normal pre-assembled kit would include the adapter, rails and also the support plate?! Or only adaper & rails? Of course I would take that too if the adapter is the most expensive part and it wouldn't save much nonetheless to get it without rails & support...

I'm currently in the process of switching to the Sony-Z1E (the european version of the Z1U) ... but I guess that shouldn't make a big difference because it's 72mm and pretty wide angle as well (about the same as the DVX).

I'd be very much interested in an adapter-only version but for the estimated 5 grand I'd take the full fledged one too. ;)
So how could one "apply" to be selected? :-))
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Not much info on the site

James, will you be placing more information on your site for potential buyers? It would be good to know if you need to buy anything else other than the adapter for your camera or not. What exactly it comes with - rails included? Cost.

Even the manual order doesn't state what included in the manual? i.e. Does it list suppliers of parts? Does it have metric measurements? etc.

Cheers
Aaron
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

what run-and-gun should mount for micro35?

question, (I'm getting way ahead now) what would be a good shoulder mount with rails even longer , to support this ???

and I'm not talking about a full size DV rig pro ( I already have a magiqcam ) , so just looking for a run-and-gun light shoulder mount with 2 handles ?

James ? any idea ?
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Micro35

Hey Wesley,
It depends on the camera. If the camera has an eyepiece like the XL1/XL2, then there are several solutions out there. Check B&H.

For the Flip-out LCDs, that's a different story because the camera has to be pretty far forward so you can see the lcd. I've got a design for the DVX that will allow you to mount handles to the micro35 rails. Then a small plate under the rail mounting plate. I also added some weight to the back to help keep things balanced. I'm sure it would work for most cameras.... I'm sure it will make the product list.

James
www.micro35.com
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes James, I'm using a DVX 100A too.

I'm anticipating your kit package now, as I doubt I'll find the parts in your book in Singapore here.

Pray tell when you're shipping it ! and how I can make payment to you !!
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Major Player

DIY Kit vs. pre-assembled

(Since I didn't see this thread anywhere else I figured to start a new one)

Which should we buy, the DIY kit or the pre-assembled unit? I'd like to think I'm like other people on this board in that I have experience as a DP, but very little (read: none) building my own 35mm adapter. Sure, I'm handy and have had to jerry rig a lot of weird stuff, but building my own micro35 from a kit, aahhh.. I just don't know.

How are others feeling about this, and perhaps James could comment on the skillset and tools required to build this thing (while we await our guides :-) )

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #9
Major Player

personally i think if you dont have alot of patience for alot of things, you will probably want to buy the kit pre-assembled... but i for one like building things and learning how to make things and all that jazz ... not matter how long it takes, but other people want it now now now! you either gotta be will to take the risk that you might mess up something while building it and learn from it or just not waste your time and buy one pre built.

thats my .02 cents.

cody
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Major Player

That's good points and I share your desire for hands-on. I guess for me it was more reflecting on skill required vs. desire. I love to work on it and learn, but I don't relish the idea of spending $250 for the kit and messing it up.
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #11
Major Player

This is cool...

I for one am thrilled about the kits and the guides actually being an option here for consideration in addition to buying the "ready-made" version...

I am curious and would like to build from the kit but have to admit that I want the FIRST unit I get to be the pre-assembled one.

That way, I know what I should strive for in terms of assembling the kit from scratch.

I teach at a film school here in Toronto and I already discussed the notion of the kits as being a project for our students doing the production courses - what better way to help them understand the advantage that such a system would afford when they're say shooting with DVX or HDV?

This is great and I know everyone is eager... I am waiting on the edge of my seat - James, no more trips!

Unless of course you're coming my way to deliver my micro 35!

Cheers, everyone!

Something tells me we're coming up on the "7th innning stretch...?"

Mark
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #12
Major Player

Questions

What is mailing address? There is no Pay Pal for some countries.

Is it designed to work with Sony FX1?

If I buy kit for 250 USD, does it include close up lens? Does it include the rails to which follow focus and matte box fit?

Have you shot resolution charts with Sony HDV and compared them to no 35 mm adaptor shots?

Is there vibration that effects extremely long telephotos?

How many F stops you lose with the adapter?

What mount the adopter comes with? Is it T mount, or what?
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi Radek - several of your questions are answered throughout this list, but here are a couple of answers as I understand them:

What is mailing address? There is no Pay Pal for some countries. -

GO TO WWW.MICRO35.COM FOR MORE INFO ON ORDERING, THOUGH YOU CAN'T ORDER ONE YET

If I buy kit for 250 USD, does it include close up lens? Does it include the rails to which follow focus and matte box fit?

THERE IS NO LENS WITH THE KIT, AND I UNDERSTAND THE PLAN IS TO HAVE THE RAILS AS PART OF THE KIT

How many F stops you lose with the adapter?

ABOUT TWO

What mount the adopter comes with? Is it T mount, or what?

JAMES IS WORKING ON A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT MOUNTS - NO CLEAR ANSWER YET (AT LEAST THAT I'VE HEARD)
Old March 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #14
Tourist

Hey Wesley,

I'm from Singapore too, however, I am currently in Hollywood, Universal Studios, taking a 1 year course in Filmmaking and Directing.

I will be returning to Singapore during the summer for a 2 month holiday, and to check out the indie scene there, which I last saw was next to nothing. Anyway, e-mail me at daryl@fong.com.sg if you wish to meet up or chat or whatever.

I currently own an XL2 and a Mini-35 300 series. Both are NTSC versions. I realize that on the Mini-35, you must have the apertures or f-stops as open as possible so as not to see the circular gg spinning. I use Nikon lenses at 1.4 to 2.8 for the best results. Anything higher than 2.8 and I can see the gg spinning. Guessing because the XL2 has a higher resolution.

Just wondering if the Micro-35 will have the same problem? Especially when it comes to f-stops higher than 3.5 or 4. I heard it doesn't use an oscillating gg and the image might be inverted. I know James hasn't tested it out on an XL2 yet, and I can't wait till he does. Would like to get a Micro-35 and test it out for myself too.
Daryl Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Mattebox/Focus Puller When Using micro35?

I'm close to purchasing a Cavision mattebox and focus puller for my Sony Z1U - but the possibility of getting a micro35 to work on the thing sometime soonish is giving me pause.

Am I correct in surmising that the mattebox wouldn't fit the lenses we'd be using and the focus puller would be useless as we wouldn't actually be focusing with the Z1U?

Any insight welcome.
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods