Macro's and colour separation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Macro's and colour separation?

I am using a Tiffen Macro 7+ 10+ and still getting colour separation when focused on lights/lamps - is this an SLR problem or a Macro problem or something else? Thanks
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Major Player

would you describe the color sep?
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Major Player

It could be chromatic aberation. It would be good to use a lens designed for video 3CCD/prism combo
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #4
Major Player

that shouldn't matter when using a 35mm adapter.

There could be two sources of this aberration:

1) The 35mm lens itself
2) The macro lens

You'll have to experiment to determine which it is. One way would be to shoot the same scene with different 35mm lenses and see what happens with regard to color.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #5
Major Player

The CA should come from the macro that is designed to work with film cameras. The prism/3CCD combo requires a different lens.
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Ah! Ok I see your point now. It's certainly a viable claim.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Look here at a side by side test done with a Fujinon broadcast (video) lens and a Zeiss lens (not a "cheapandnasty").
This is with a hacked Sony FX1 HDV camera, so the CA is more prominent because the higher resolution.
With a SD camera setup, the CA could be less visible:
http://www.eidomedia.com/hdve/ziess_fuji.htm
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #8
Major Player

What I mean by colour separation is that when I point the camera at a lamp, for example, on certain angles and mostly long shots, the light from the lamp seems to glob and turn a different colour from the other parts. In other words, it doesn't look natural.
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
What I mean by colour separation is that when I point the camera at a lamp, for example, on certain angles and mostly long shots, the light from the lamp seems to glob and turn a different colour from the other parts. In other words, it doesn't look natural.
Oh ok...so it's not the typical red color near the edges of the picture(chromatic abberation), as some are getting?

I'm still not sure what's happening though...

What type of lamp is this? I've pointed the camera at a flourescent before and it turned green, along with changing the color of the rest of the scene.

Does the image look fine in the viewfinder but not in the footage? It may be a blowout/compression problem.

Just some ideas.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #10
Major Player

The footage I have shown does not have the separation (maybe there is some confusion there). I will have to get some footage with it and I think it will be abundantly obvious.
Old March 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #11
Major Player

I am also noticing some blurring on Trees for example, I am not sure if it is my Macro 10+ or something else. The GG looks really good without the camera in front, but when I take the footage, a tree for example, will look great on the trunk, but the branches will seem to soften and blur. Not sure why...any ideas?
Old March 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #12
Major Player

is the macro, Uncoated lens. Try a 1.6X teleconverter instead (from a photo store) and see if it makes a diff.
Old March 8th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #13
Major Player

I am not sure if it is uncoated or not - but I am starting to believe that the hotspot is what is causing the problems - causing the blurriness as it spreads from the center of the lens. I will look into the Teleconverter and see if it will work with my camera - the macro is Tiffen, I am not sure if that is a good company or not.

Also, I have a TV Tele Conversion Lens 1.5X, but it seems way too small to work. Actually, I am not really sure what it does?!
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Look trough the +10. As you get it further away from the table /hand, you should see the same as in video.
Tiffen is a good company but optics have their own rules.
Any converter (IF it is a converter) should give you a "clue" even if the size is not suitable for your front mount camcorder.
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Ok, what I meant to say is the converter lens is really really small! The lens is about 1/2 inch across in this big housing. Not sure why though it would be sooo small.
I have to hand it to you Dan, your device kicks butt compared to mine. I don't see vinetting on your, I don't see the striations or the wobbling and I don't see the hotspots. Nice clear and wonderful looking. Good job.
As for me, I am still trying to get rid of the little problems along the way that you have already solved. As soon as I get rid of the hotspot, I can start working on the working version to actually shot something.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods