Water and oil anamorphic prisms - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 17th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #76
Major Player

Thanks.
I didn't really post a full frame of that test on this thread, so here it is:
http://doublecam.250free.com/135mm.jpg

I am working on some other things, but I'll come back to the lenses soon (more to finish it, because they work fine)
I was hoping Keith Kline would get some results in different compression, but he seems to be gone from the board for a wile now.

I'm still thinking about a new setup with the big lens in front of the 35mm adapter and the small lens beween the GG and the DV camcorder. It'll save much space and get more view so you can use a wide angle lens, but I don't know if the color aberration will be corrected the same way.

Note that the lenses also work on a DV camcorder without a 35mm adapter.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:53 AM   #77
Regular Crew

I'm Back

Okay I just posted in the micro wax thread too so I'll save the story, but I'm back. I'm gonna try to get some time to start some new prisms this weekend. Not sure what causes the difference in the prism layout, but a smaller angle was not the way to go. I tried a pair at 20 degrees and it didn't do anything. I think I'm going to do a 30 degree set and follow yours so that way we have a reference and a way to compare the compression changes. I'm also going to make a 35 degree pair and see if that works better than my 40 degree pair.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #78
Major Player

Welkome back here too Keith. By the way, I'll go back into anamorphics myself, because I'm making a new adapter with a wax GG.
Maybe I'll just use the other prisms I made, but if it's possible, I'd like to make it a half rear, half front version to save space. I mean: One water prism in front of the adapter, so you can use wider lenses too. The other water prism should go right behind the GG (between the GG and DV camcorder)
The rear lens could be almost as small as the 35mm image.

Also, 2.35:1 if possible.

Last edited by Oscar Spierenburg; June 5th, 2005 at 07:04 AM.
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #79
Major Player

Double post.
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #80
New Boot

Woo hoo! Back again :)
Jonathan Pacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #81
Major Player

I am working on my new (static) adapter with the micro wax, so I'm reconsidering the anamorphic plans. I found out something interesting.
You need two water prisms to correct the color aberration. I don't know how it works, but I remember reading somewhere it has to do with the different speeds of the colors of light. So I was thinking, the closer the image to the lens, the less aberration it should have.
It turns out to be true, if you put one water prism very close the an image (like a GG) you don't see any aberration.

With this new idea, I'll start doing some tests this week. It would make everything much easier and smaller, because you'd only need one prism between the GG and the camcorder.
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #82
Major Player

Do you have enough room to put it between the GG and the DV camera - is that what you meant? I wonder how they manage to do it on film where they put it in front and do not have the colour problems there?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #83
Major Player

It's not so big, so there should be enough room to put it. I made a front one just like the old ones for movie camera's, the aberration is gone with a second lens, but that makes the thing pretty big( and they were very big on movie cameras http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/wide...5_evamarie.jpg).
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #84
Major Player

Try putting that on a Steadicam! Ouch, Garret Brown!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods