high resoultion wireless at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

high resoultion wireless

hi, i am involed in a helicam project. we have a helicam with a trv950 that is working at the moment. we want to install a high resolution camera, but we must be able to see a low-res on the ground with wireless applications. does anybody know if there is such a camera system?
Dogus Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Contributor

why not use a High res. camera and hot-glue a small wireless camera to it's viewfinder?

Just a thought.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Actuallly the new P2 Pany that everyone is talking about has a wireless option that sends lower resolution "Proxy" video ...

Check out about 1/2 way down this page:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...cam/index.html
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

well first of all the camera must be high resolution, and i dont think its easy sending all that information on wireless, instead a proxy image will do the job, as barry said, but the camera must be small enough to fit the helicam camera holder, and we need a lighter camera (like small scientific cameras) just capable of gain control, and simple stuff.
Dogus Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Got your post in the 4:4:4 thread.

Firstly I am sure hat there are SD and HD wireless out here somewhere.

I have been considering other technologies though.

I am not a wireless expert and don't have many of the details on hand (a bit late at night too). Currently we have WIFI g standard, it says 54mb's, and with some multiple channel units you are going to get above 108mb's. But I am sure the range will be max around 300 meters, and a clear line of sight (i.e. put some leaves and trees in the road and it might be 100 meters max). I also understand actual real data rate is a lot less. To get over this another group has developed a new standard called WI-Max. I can't remember it's speed (70mb/s??), or coverage (35miles??). The problem is that it is new, maybe non portable.

The next round of technology is called Ultra Wide Band (UWB) that\t will be used for wireless USB2 and Firewire 400 (480Mb/s), and I am not sure what the 1 GB/s is for (GBE). But the planned initial distances are something like 30 feet (I do not know any other planned distances). I have recently been thinking of the possibility of extending the technology's distance artificially (boosting it) as has been done with a number of wireless technologies in times past. The potential of ultra wide band is many many times what I just quoted.

If you want raw footage from a single chip then 720p is around 1MP * 24fps min, 1080p is around 2MP * 24fps. Three chip would be 3 times more. So you should look at at least a pro HD codec (not HDV) so that will be 50Mb/s (if based on Mpeg2/4/wavelet/cineform etc) otherwise at least 100Mb/s, to reduce motion artifacts (otherwise there are still better than HDV in the computer domain).

So you see that this is an incredible amount of data to transmit and store, otherwise compress and transmit. So you need to use custom hardware engine to compress and transmit (buy parts or use FPGA etc o make your own), or strap a computer to their back and transmit to that. No easy solution unless it can be bought.

Google these, and look at my technical thread for cinema cameras, I have posted a number of links on these technologies there. You also might consider looking for the link to hdforindies.com in there, the person who runs the site might know something. I( just rembered that the Russian company Elphin (or something, look in my homemade camera thread for link) is continuing development of network cameras, and I am sure there must be HD security camera links (I remember an article about a show on min-itx.com that had a via mainboard platform handling security feeds.

These are not products, but just technologies that can be used to make a product.

Over at the Cinema Camera threads sensors we look at the moment are from Fillfactory (IBIS5a, the only with Global shutter) and Micron. Altasens is much better but also much more expensive. There is a wide variation in how these can be implemented in a camera head that affects the quality.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods