Has anyone put an Agus on Betcam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 15th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Has anyone put an Agus on Betcam

Gday,

I have recently secured a job at a regional TV station that have a few Betacam SP cameras.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience on the gettin an agus in front of one.
The closest info i have got so far is that you may need has a B4 to "C" mount adaptor .

On examining the C mount on the SP i noticed how small the actual lens diamater is , roughly 34mm, and i was wondering about some sort of C mount to 37mm adapter, as i would be interested to post some footage comparing a Betacam to a 16:9 pdx10.

Cheers,
Ben
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Ben.

If you've actually got the B4 to C-Mount adaptor, you may find a 50mm C-Mount prime will give you the field of view for the image off the groundglass. You will however need to install a spacer between the C-Mount lens and it's normal mounting position on the adaptor to bring it forward enough to focus in the gg. The spacer is an easy get. The security companies such as Ness Security Products have C-Mount to CS-mount adaptors. These are about 3mm thick and have the same mount internal on front and external on back and are made of nylon. The Betacam I think has a 2/3" CCD. My tests onto a 1/3" single chip crimcam were best with a 25mm for full 4:3 framing of the 24mm x 18mm movie frame. I can't remember my actual test distances but I think you will find them back on the XL1 threads here. I think for the 25mm on a 3mm spacer it was about 3 - 4 " forward from the lens to the gg. The C-Mount lens will need to be one which will cover a 2/3" diameter image target. They come in varieties from 1/3" to 1". I think the security camera lenses are mostly 1/3". Brands are Fujinon, Cosmicar, Tokina for starters. I've got some web stock lists and charts saved to .pdf. I'll hunt them down.

Looking forward to your tests. The resolution off the disk should be slightly better than for the PD150 because it will go through fewer bits of glass.

If you have time to wait, I can test into the KY-F50 which is 2/3". I have a full work week this week. With a thicker spacer, say about 5 to 6mm, the 25mm lens closer to the gg may cover the 2/3" image target but may go soft on the corners.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Ben.

Furthur to previous post, the 25mm and 50mm I refer to are the focal lengths of those lenses not filter mount diameter.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Which station are you working at Ben? I recently moved on after nearly a decade at WIN in Hobart. I hadn't come across the DIY dof adapter concept while I was there, so I never got a chance to try it, but it could be interesting!
Nicholas Storr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Im actually at WIN in Albury, and was hired by Collin Clarke from Tasmania of some time, nice guy too.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods