HD monitoring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 4th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Major Player

HD monitoring

Hey guys,

Well we've all heard the news about the new Panasonic camera. I've put a lot of things on hold so I can get one! One really troublesome area though is monitoring the footage in a decent manner. Clearly any onboard LCD isn't going to cut it for critical focus. Heck, it's hard enough to use the LCD to focus SD! I've looked around and about the only monitors I can find are thousands +.

How hard do you guys think it would be to create a DIY monitor? I'm thinking that it should be easy enough to take the LCD out of a computer monitor (and/or modify it) and then work from there. I'm thinking that modding an LCD display would be easiest.

It shouldn't be too hard to reroute the power wiring to some onboard power supply. The tough part comes about finding a decent power supply that will 1) last 2) be relatively small and 3) fit the monitors requirements for voltage etc.

The second hard part comes about with adapting the video cable to accept video inputs. I'm not sure how to go about this at all. Anyone have suggestions?

Overall I think it's a relatively easy (ha famous last words) project - albeit somewhat expensive if you screw up/burn out an LCD or two. What do you guys think? I'm certainly not going to pay 3K+ for a $400 project.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

How would you get the HD signal out of the camera? It's probably
far easier to just bring a laptop with a decent screen and run
some (capture?) software on it to see the signal?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Through the normal video out whether that be component or another variant. True about bringing a laptop. I'm just not sure I want to bring an expensive laptop with me into all shooting environments. Much easier to replace an LCD.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Yes, but I'm thinking of the following:

- is there any output on the camera that outputs a true HD signal (I don't know)

- is there any device that understands this signal and convert it into the signal the LCD/TFT screen needs to have

- does it really stay HD throughout the entire process

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Trustee

Guys I have seen converters for this..the apple cinema display is a great choice at only 1200$ it makes a WONDERFULL true HD monitor..get the box to take HD out from the camera and connect the apple display ...
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Intersting! What about power though? I'd love it if that works!
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Major Player

I am not sure if this will work but I have to try it no matter what:
get a portable DVD player (as best (IMHO) price/size/quality/convenience choice, just for the screen) and get the signal to it. Z1 has a connector that plugs in and has (at the other end) RGB connectors that go into bigger LCD/plasma displays. That image is good enough (for me) for both framing/color correction/focus (after all, the monitor's settings are adjustable, right? and Z1 has color bars) I am sure other HD will have the same function as well.
As for power, most LCD's have an external power supply 110V to 12V DC. Just power it from any battery that will last long enough for the day and recharge over night.
Check out the fourth down this list:
http://www.allcam.biz/products/ptdvd.html
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Trustee

the deal is TRUE HD...this would be the big issue..you don't want Svideo or standard def on a great monitor..that is garbage trust me I have seen it..must be TRUE HD
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #9
Major Player

This box from Blackmagic Design will display the HD signal on a computer LCD monitor:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/site/hdlink.htm
or AJA Kona:
http://www.aja.com/hdp.htm.
Look for also at other A/D mini converters
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods