Reversed image upside down? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 11th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #16
Micro35

Yep, wireless will certainly be a great option.

The equipment that will be released in 06 will be top notch stuff at an Indie price point. That's all I can say! I've got to get back to the micro35!!

Thanks Joel!

james
www.micro35.com
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:15 AM   #17
Major Player

I put in a request to the guys over at DV Rack to include a "flip 180" button on their product. They said it sounds simple, so if you own or are interested in DV Rack, put in the request as well, and maybe we can get them to include this in the next release of their software.

www.seriousmagic.com
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM   #18
New Boot

I may have found a way to flip the XL2 view without switching the whole assembly to the other side.

I had to replace my LCD screen the other day, when I got inside I noticed you could just flip the entire LCD and circuit board 180. It should work, my only concern would be if the wires are long enough. I will be trying it when I get my unit from james.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Let us know Brad...

I'm curious how best to configure the XL2 with James adapter.
Andrew C. Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

Im brand new to this forum, have only moderate experience with dv as of now (in excess of two years), and a limited knowlege of physics but the solution to the flipped image problem seems pretty simple to me.

Now im not too keen on how the adapter works, all i kno is that there is a lens mount, a ground glass, and a macro adapter, i may even be wrong there. Now, if one were to put an independant single convex lens inbetween the ground glass and the macro adapter (at the apropriate focal distance of course), wouldn't that flip the image back around to be right side up?

]:-( --->

http://geocities.com/anarchist_lb
Jon Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #21
Regular Crew

That's what is being said on dvxuser.com, it should work, but I don't know if that will have an affect on the ground glass as far as placement and distance from the glass and the camera lens. In theory though, it should work.
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #22
Major Player

Jon,

That would absolutely work! It makes me wonder why no one has made an adapter that does this yet. The P&S guys could cut out a lot of expense by going this route (no prisms).

I suppose it's probably due to need for calculations and most likely custom glass.

I've thought of doing this myself before but nearly every stock lens has too long a focal length for this to be practical.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #23
Major Player

Reversed image upside down?

What is the fix?
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #24
Regular Crew

It's not right/left flipping, only up/down, and it can easily be fixed in post. I believe the pro version is going to have a prism system in it so it eliminates that problem
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #25
Micro35

There are ways to 'rotate' the image on the camera and on the monitor during production.
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #26
Major Player

I may have mentioned this before but I am pitching the guys over at DVRack to include a 180 degree switch on their field monitor. that would completely solve the problem and of course DV Rack is a great product anyways.

It IS a 180 degree rotation problem, right?
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #27
Major Player

Yes it is a 180 degree rotation, which is the same as flipping a piece of paper horizontally and then vertically, try it with a piece of paper.

Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:03 AM   #28
Major Player

So you basically need monitor that will flip everything 180 deg. Is there such monitor? How about during editing? Can NLE's just flip image 180 degrees?
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #29
Major Player

Of course NLEs can do it - the challenge is monitoring during production. I recall the earlier part of the thread was simply to take a field monitor and flip it upside down. And then there's the put-the-magnet-next-to-your-camera-and-
trick-the-flip-out-viewfinder-to-turn-upside-down but that gives me the willies!
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #30
Major Player

Hey all - I'm just curious how many people are considering purchasing an camera-mount LCD monitor that can "do the flip" to solve this problem. I've done some research and a 5" lcd that can do this ranges from $260-400.

I am thinking this is the best approach (esp. since the micro35 being $500, I am still WELL under the price of the mini35), but wanted to hear other thoughts
Brian Valente is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods