Achromat - home made? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 14th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Achromat - home made?

AFter researching, it seems that achromats are really three macro lenses put together. Two to make () and a third to top it off ()) . And in my search I found that telescopes have achromats in them - so I wonder if it would be possible to either buy a cheap charity shop kids telescope and get the achromat from it or pull together macro lens to make a achromat. Anyone try this? Any thoughts?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Bob Hart

Mandy.

A kid's telescope eyepiece may be too small a diameter. The SW5042 lens set for the Tasco telescope comes out at about 44mm at the front element and it is only barely wide enough for the 24mm x 18mm frame. This was my experience with the PD150 which has a 52mm front element on its built-in lens (58mm filter mount). For smaller camcorders with a 37mm front end, a smaller telescope or binocular eyepiece may work but I have my doubts.

As with the SW5042, you may find your home made achromat lens may have to be within 12mm to 18mm of the groundglass. This is great for a very short path but there are issues with edge softness in my version though I got round it by framing a little tighter on the gg. Brightness across the image was even without any fall off. Also with the SW5042, I had to severely modify the mount for the glass and place it as close as I could get to the front element of the camcorder's own lens to get the 44mm diameter path to work satisfactorily.

If you later choose to make a prism path to erect the image, you will have to use something else with a longer path to the gg, probably something in the ballpark of 5+ to 7+.

The music video .mov file on www.dvinfo.net/media/hart was shot through the SW5042 lens set. Any of the "mtatk?.JPG" images there were shot through this lens set.

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 15th, 2005 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Lost a paragraph.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/cat...elenses_1.html

At $7.50 plus shipping, I wouldn't bother trying to make my own. http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l1590.html

Court
Courtney Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Very true.
The focal length is 170mm, which I think isn't going to be a strong achromat - isn't it the shorter, the stronger?

The problem is this : I live in Canada and although $7.50 is very inexpensive, I have to factor in shipping to Canada, money exchange and wait time. So $7.50 end up being like $20+ for something that might be marred, marked or scratched - a second that might be in the end, useless - whereas making one, I can scrour places today and find what I need. Yes, maybe it will be a waste of time, but it will be a grand adventure and learning experience.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I didn't realize that you lived in Canada, so yea, it'd probably take some extra time for it to get there. I ordered one and I can tell you that it's not marked up - brandnew without a scratch. It wouldn't bother me if it did have a scratch though. I'm just using it for proof of concept.

Good luck.

Court
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #6
Major Player

What is the strength on it? +4 +2 +10?
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #7
Major Player

These are diopters, just like reading glasses, they indicate level of magnification/closeup capability.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
What is the strength on it? +4 +2 +10?
It's the second link that I have above.

Court
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #9
Major Player

Ok, I have clicked the right link, but I don't see anywhere that shows the strength of the dioptre. Am I missing something? I am comparing it to Macros that have the +1 +2 +4 +7 +10 beside them. Is it listed somewhere, because I can't see it.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ok, I have clicked the right link, but I don't see anywhere that shows the strength of the dioptre. Am I missing something? I am comparing it to Macros that have the +1 +2 +4 +7 +10 beside them. Is it listed somewhere, because I can't see it.

You can determine the diopter rating by this equation:
Diopter = 1/[Focal length in meters]

D=1/0.170 ==> 5.88 (for the lens in the link in my post)

Court
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #11
Major Player

That is great, thanks you. +5 will do just fine! Do you have any still from your system using the achromat you got from Surplus shed?
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I've not really started yet. I just got the ground glass in today, so maybe this weekend I'll give it a crack.

Court
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #13
Major Player

Opinion:

Not everything should be homemade. If you find yourself making something only because it will save you $20, $30, whatever - you're most likely ripping yourself off...Dont forget your time is worth something too.

I try to ask myself what the TRUE cost of something is. If I do that I almost always end up making what I NEED but does not exist and purchasing a professionally made product for the rest.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Looking at Surplusshed.com again, this little item came up:
http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3034.html

It is called a 52MM SPOTTING SCOPE OBJECTIVE - does anyone know what that means and can they explain it in layman's terms?
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Looking at Surplusshed.com again, this little item came up:
http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3034.html

It is called a 52MM SPOTTING SCOPE OBJECTIVE - does anyone know what that means and can they explain it in layman's terms?
It's the same thing that I picked up, just with a larger focal length.
http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l1590.html

It's just a convex lens, in this case a doublet, which corrects for two different light wave lengths - most likely red and blue - so that your resulting image is closer to being color correct. In otherwords, it's correcting for aberration.

You can get triplets as well, but the price goes up. That would correct for red, blue and a wave length inbetween. They are some that correct for more wave lengths, but the price is way up there.

This lens I got from them appeared to me to be new. Was shipped very protected and seems to be pristine.

Court
Courtney Lana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods