Micro35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 4th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Micro35

Has anyone been able to compare the micro 35 with the mini 35? If so what are the differences?
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Dan,

You're talking about a $500 product vs. an $8,000 product. The Micro35 has its own site and an active message board. You might want to post this question over there as I'm sure they'll be in a better position to give you the answers you need. The link is http://redrockmicro.com/ -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. I will certainly post the same question over there. However I would like some non-biased specific details about the differences for example grain at lower f stops, noise of ground glass, light distribution etc etc. On the Micro35 site there is mention that the mini35 is "over enginered". What does this mean? Usually you get what you pay for, why should I pay more for the mini35? This is why I orginally posted in the mini35 thread.

Thanks
Old June 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

All I can tell you Dan is that our P+S Technik forum is reserved for P+S Technik product discussions only. Micro35 threads have no business there, that's why I moved your post out of that forum. As I said, you're comparing a $500 item with an $8,000 item. They're in two completely different markets with no crossover that I can see. You should pursue the best gear that you can afford.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #5
Major Player

I think Alternative Imaging Forum is good place ask, rather than Micro 35 forum, which may have biased moderators.

If you add all stuff you need, including decent LCD screen for Micro 35, because its image is reversed and upside down, you may end with 1/3 price of Mini 35, which too will have everything you need. Is Mini 35 worth 3x as much. I would say yes, definitely, from FX1 images we have seen.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

If you're looking for unbiased opinion asking the mini35 crowd is not exactly the best idea.

As a mini35 user I would be interested to find out whether or not the micro is measured for appropriate lens use... not to mention basic performance comparison. As it seems so close to the mini35 in lots of ways... to the point of patent infringement- perhaps I'd like to know why my mini35 is better...

I'm knee deep in a shoot right now and LOVE the darn thing. the 300 series on an XL2 has been so nice... I had it on an XL1 before and loved it then.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I own and rent out the mini35 package and I am simply investigating other devises on the market.
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McCain
Thanks for the replies. I own and rent out the mini35 package and I am simply investigating other devises on the market.
Greetings Dan. You should also check into the Guerilla35. You can visit us at www.guerilla35.com. It's a static adapter solution so there is not need for batteries and such. Being static, it's small and lightweight. There are moving parts! You can also adjust your shutter speed on your camera to whatever you like. Thanks!

Jonathan Houser
H&H Optics
www.guerilla35.com
Jonathan Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi all,

The mini35/micro35 comparision has come up before, and it's a very reasonable question to ask. The P+S and micro35 both use moving gg - the G35 is static.

The "overengineered" comment is not so much a negative against the mini35 as an explanation of what we are trying to accomplish with the micro35. If I had unlimited money I would purchase the mini35 in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I don't, and we think there is a market out there for similar filmmakers who cannot afford to spend that kind of money on an adapter.

So what's the tradeoff? For example, we don't have a choice of speed for the rotating gg that the mini35 does. But then again, seems like everyone sets it on "high" anyways. That's a design tradeoff we made.

The other big one is our image is upside down (the g35 is too). We have made several options available on our website to address this, including relationships with several vendors to offer on-camera displays at a discount that do the flip.

We are going to be working with some reviewers who have experience with the mini35 so they can give you an unbiased, informed opinion.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the health discussion

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #10
Major Player

Let's not forget reliability, life, stability. What happens if temperature changes. Do all tolerances stay same? Is motor as rugged as one on Mini 35? Is optical coating as good as on Mini35. Is Micro 35 as immune to dirt and wearing off motor dust? Is motor brushless? Is water and vapor tight? Will paint chip? How good is quality control? How many hours life the unit have? Why Micro 35 people don't shoot their own resolution charts? Is unit immune to fall from certain height? As bearings wear out, how does affect performance? Are ball bearings used, etc., etc.

Can make as good product in garage as German development and production team? Do you have optical expertise? Are rental places offering the unit?

There too many variables. Unit may work great for some, especially with SD cameras. I'll wait for their pro unit.

Radek
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Radek - Just to clarify, the micro35 is not made in a garage. This is a professionally manufactured unit. You can see our manufacturing faciliites at:

http://redrockmicro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117

As for comparisons, we'll leave that to objective third parties. The more people hear about the micro35, the more they are interested in hearing from others, especially as it relates to comparisons.

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Until we can actually see a side by side comparison, We won't know the capabilities of the G35/Micro35 compared to the mini, but a price tag of 1000 dollars opposed to an 8000+ Mini35 sounds like the better deal even if the image is slightly lower than the Mini.

If you're making a movie for film out, maybe you'll need that expensive mini35. Hell why even waste your time and rent a real camera. But for people who are budget conscious and are making music videos/commercials, from the looks of things the Guerilla35 and the Micro35 should be their best bet.
Trevor Trombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Valente
Radek - Just to clarify, the micro35 is not made in a garage. This is a professionally manufactured unit.
Sorry Brian, I had no idea. I was going make my own but after talking to engineers become discouraged. I'm sure your unit is fine for most shooters; I'll wait for expensive model that you announced, or maybe Dan will start selling his at reasonable price, or Davies Spi.

Radek
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #14
Major Player

i think its good to "stoke the fire" with the micro35, the G35, and the movie tube!!! its about time P+S has some kind of competition, even if its not competition it gives the people who dont have a big budget to accomplish something very similar in technique of pulling focus and dealing with DOF and different lenses. i think the G35 has the best image i have seen on a static adapter, period! the movie tube on the other hand i have never seen one bit of footage as much as i've looked for it. right now im using a DIY version of the micro35 after building my own agus35 and i have to say its 100 times better. dan has made a really cool adapter as well with the focusing screen... from my understanding, P+S is doing something similar in GG wise? and it has a good image.

it would be really cool to see footage from each adapter on the same DVD to see the differences.

in my eyes, the DIY guide is mostly for those beginners that have no clue how a 35mm adapter works, much less, how to build one without going through over 100 posts in this forum. the production version is pretty cool. i got to take a look at it and the rails and macro and mounts. the rails alone are worth the 850$! but you get an adapter and macro with that so its a steal. everything is adjustable as well. the image looks great in my eyes.

there is no "Miracle" adapter for video, but i can settle for that.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm in the midst of a feature shoot with the mini35 and an xl2 and would be happy to demo and send you side by side for a day or more if you would like... send me an email - we're insured, etc...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods