How to 'pop' the lens out of a 8mm camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 18th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Major Player

How to 'pop' the lens out of a 8mm camera?

Got a cheap 8mm camera and trying to pop of the lens - it looks decent and a strong achromat to boot - but for the life of me, I can't get it out of the steel housing! any ideaS?

In the process of popping it, I destroyed the ring on the outside, but there has to be a way to pop it without all the cutting and general wrecking of the retaining ring - coke maybe? DW40?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Major Player

How is it affixed into the ring itself? Can you tell if its some sort of glue, epoxy? If so then maybe you can find some sort of solvent. Or is it simply machined inside? Maybe a pic would help.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Major Player

It's something terrible. You have to be really careful not to scratch the glass. First check if there is a ring with two gaps and try to unscrew it by pushing with a screwdriver in one gab(unless you have that special tool). If there isn't, try to find out how it was put together.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, Oscar - that is just what I did. Worked pretty good as well. Now I have a condenser, I think, but it is concave - weird!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Concave? Sure? Does it reduce the vignetting if you just hold the lens against the GG and look at it?
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods