35mm adapters or 2/3" lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Space Hipster

35mm adapters or 2/3" lens?

I'm new to 35mm adapters. I just used a Redrock on a recent video shoot and really liked the look. We used a 14mm Canon, so the image was incredible.
I currently own a Panny HPX500, which means 2/3" chips and lens. Do 35mm adapters on, say, a 1/3" camera make that much more of a difference over my setup? Will I notice a dramatic difference in DOF compared to my 2/3" rig?
I like the idea of using prime lenses. I'm considering adding a 35mm rig to my equipment if I can have that much more control over the image.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Major Player

I would say: yes, because 2/3" is still not big enough to make a real difference in Depth of Field. I think starting from 4/3" to APS-C you really have the depth of field to compete with a 35mm adapter.
Only I don't understand "We used a 14mm Canon, so the image was incredible."
Do you mean an f1.4 lens. Because a 14mm wide angle lens doesn't give you much DOF, so I wouldn't bother using a 35mm adapter in that case.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Space Hipster

Sorry, I did mean the 14mm lens. i know there was no dof effect, but I just liked the image we had, and the fact that we could change out to any 35mm lens we had available.
That's a pretty new concept to those of us who normally work with 2/3" zoom lenses.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Glen, what you've said right here is what filmmakers said back in the 50s - except that they said it the other way around.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods