Anyway to override auto on a Nikon lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyway to override auto on a Nikon lens?

I bought a 20mm Nikon lens off eBay. The lens arrived and is beautiful except when I try to adjust the aperture ring, it functions normally, but I don't see the lens step down. I thought I read somewhere that you can fix a lens that works with the camera electronics to perform in manual mode. The lens is a 20mm Nikon AF Nikor. Any suggestions? I am afraid if I try to get this repaired, it will cost more than I paid for it. My other option is since the 20mm lens is wide open, I might step down the shot with my EX-1 aperture control. Any thoughts?

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Until wiser advice comes along, this is a guess at best. Look for a little sliding switch which has letters "M" and "A" or anything which looks like it is a switch or lock. If you find one, whatever it is on, switch it to the other choice.

In back of the lens there may be a lever sticking out facing backwards and its movement sideways. It is intended to interact with with camera mechanicals inside the mount.

Push this little lever against its spring pressure to its most opposite end-travel and hold it there. Now turn the aperture (iris) ring.

You may then find that the iris blades now move. If that is happening and you cannot find a "M" or manual selector, you may be able to make a wedge to hold the iris lever against its spring return pressure so that the aperture ring remains manually operable.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods