Condensers wow! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Oscar,
Has you (or someone on this forum) tried arranging lenses the same as shown in the movietube patent, minus the prism?

e.g. 35mm-(|) () (()
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #17
Regular Crew

oops, clicked submit...

so anyway, with this
35mm (|) () (()
I was trying to show lenses in this order...
35mm, pcx, gg, pcx, field lens, achromat

That is what the movietube shows. Anyone tried it?

This site shows why a field lens is used in optical tube-like systems, it seems to be able to fix the hotspot, but i dont know optics well enough to translate this info into our adapter design.
http://www-optics.unine.ch/education...ield_lens.html

Also, according to this page we should be doing this )|(
http://www-optics.unine.ch/education...berration.html
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #18
Major Player

Interestingly enough, the second picture with the right and wrong way shows that after the light has hit the PCX lens from the flat side, it would come out flat on the other, which is untrue and I can attest for that with the distortion and blurriness I am getting with a condenser. So what is the deal?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Wagner
oops, clicked submit...

Also, according to this page we should be doing this )|(
http://www-optics.unine.ch/education...berration.html
Actually, the second example there represents the hot-spot scenario. Light from the ground glass is scattering off the glass in many directions, being most intense where it lines up with your eye (or video lens).

We don't see such hot-spots in film because every crystal on film receives the same amount of light proportional to the scene. The film is a "slice" across the focal plane, getting an accurate representation of the photographed scene's lighting. But we aren't working with slices. We're dealing with projectors.

In the adaptor scenario, the gg is a projector, and creates the hot-spot problem. To act as a projector, it must diffuse light (heavily). This diffusion/scattering causes light to be "lost" as it gets further away from the center of the picture -- your eye never gets to see it since it bounces off in some wild direction. Apparently, the second PCX (PCX2, between gg and video) works by getting that scattered light to refocus along the lens axis to the video camera -- bringing the "lost" light back into the path of the lens, and thus brightening what was once dark.

So, the second example in the link you posted represents a situation where the PCX is trying to refocus the scattered light into a parallel stream, in effect, removing the hot spot.

The first PCX (PCX1, located between 35mm lens and gg) is probably more purposed to reverse any distortion caused by PCX2, since the light entering it has already been focused onto the ground glass at a pretty extreme angle and probably doesn't have any "hotspot" issues in this section of the pipeline. I haven't been able to experiment with it, however.

So I would interpret your link as supporting the (|) configuration that others have been finding to be successful.

Sorry for being so verbose. I can't help it.
Glen Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #20
Major Player

I am also curious about the first PCX in this way - when I have tried it, it makes the image smaller - is this what it is supposed to do? Or is it more a fact that it concentrates the light into one spot instead of the graduated light spread you regularly get from a lens onto a GG?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

My guess is that the first PCX is compensating the second.
One thing that bothered me about the second PCX is that it enlarges the image, and I thought it was simply getting rid of the hot spot by enlarging the bright portion of the screen and ignoring the darker areas. Do this too much, and you completely lose any reason for using an adapter at all (remember, you can get shallow DOF in video just by using a real long lens, or "magnifying" the image).
Now I realize the second PCX is actually redirecting the light back toward the lens, correcting a problem created by the diffusion of the ground glass.
With the second PCX close to the GG, there's not going to be a lot of magnification, but by having the first PCX on the other side, it seems that it would "reverse" or reduce whatever magnification/distortion was created by the second PCX.
Again, I don't have a rig set up to carefully experiment with these ideas, but "thought experiments" can help.
Glen Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:55 PM   #22
Regular Crew

FYI,
I tried this setup and it has given me the best results yet, no noticable hot-spot and no distortion or blurring towards the edges. Also, I set a two tripods up, one with a still camera, and the other with my vx2000 and the lens adapter. I tried my 50mm lens on both to make sure I was getting the same frame and angle of view. "a" OK!

camcorder ) (| 35mm lens

I was concened about putting one of the pcx lenses between the 35mm lens and the GG, so I tried this and it works great for my setup. the two pcx lenses are fl 150mm. And I put as much space between them as I could. Hope to post pics soon.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:50 PM   #23
Major Player

It will be interesting to see what the PCX lens will do for quality of the image. Did you get them at Surplusshed?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods