Forgot to turn on Letus Extreme - Post Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Forgot to turn on Letus Extreme - Post Help

So a colleague of mine has some footage where the videographer didn't turn on the Letus Extreme adapter & now there is a lot of static grain in the picture.

Anyone had to fix this in post before? Preferably in Final Cut?
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Been there...

Try Neat Video? Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Trustee

If he captured a frame of solid color through the focusing screen (perhaps recording while changing lenses) he can use that frame as a difference matte on the final edit to compensate, assuming he never changed zoom and image stabilization was off. The results are pretty astounding.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If the zoom on a lens-in-camera has not been disturbed since the shoot ( unlikely ) it may be just possible to shoot a frame to create the difference matte. If the zoom relay has been disturbed, getting a match will be near impossible or not worth the investment of time and effort in trying.

A Letus/camcorder combination which uses a fixed relay lens will be much easier to work with if the camera has not been dismounted from the Letus or has twisted on the coupling.

The groundglass carrier may have come to rest in a different position if the motor was operated after the problem footage was shot but it is likely the carrier comes to rest in the same spot.

If it is slightly off, not all may be lost. There may be "landmark" spots on the screen in the frame corners which may enable the matte to be accurately placed over the groundglass fixed-pattern in the vision to be recovered.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Major Player

I've played around with difference matte a couple years ago & couldn't get it to work. I haven't seen the video yet, so I don't know if it is possible to get a clean image for the difference.

I had seen the Neat Video plug-in but forgot about it. I'll test out the demo & see how well it works & then maybe purchase it.

I'm sure in a few years the crazy basement math guys will write something that makes this an easy fix, but in the mean time thanks for the responses...
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Tried out the demo for Neat Video, made it worse. Probably going to add a soft blur to it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods