thor labs adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 27th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Tourist

thor labs adapter

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and finally thought it would be worth while to bring back a discussion started by Richard Mellor in "parts list" thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=15 thread
that pulls together info on making a static adapter with parts from thor labs, centered around this tube http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetai...roduct_ID=1481

This thread ended without anyone posting a succesful use of this design on a dvx100. I am interested in seeing example footage and want to know if the use of two pcx lenses helps solve the need for two +10 diopters. In other words, what kind of magnification is needed for the original dvx100 (not A) to work with the thor labs style adapter?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Ben Hodges; July 27th, 2005 at 11:36 PM.
Ben Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #2
New Boot

Yeah, that looks great for a static adapter.
Clean look, but maybe a bit heavy?
I'd use something like this for a retail item.
Andrew Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm constructing it as we speak. I'll let you know how it operates on my GL2. I chose it because it seems so much easier to make than the other one (http://ideaspora.net/oldskool/). Eww, PVC and gluing. I'll take screwing things together any day.

Last edited by Ben Winter; August 3rd, 2005 at 09:15 PM.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4
Old Boot

Ben? You want to check your link? It isn't working for me - thanks - Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Old Boot

. . yeah, looks like the URL has "crept" under the last bracket and "slash" - - oops! G
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I'm constructing it as we speak. I'll let you know how it operates on my GL2. I chose it because it seems so much easier to make than the other one (http://ideaspora.net/oldskool/). Eww, PVC and gluing. I'll take screwing things together any day.
Funny, I wrote both that tutorial, and an update about using ThorLabs parts. People seem to want to reinvent the wheel a lot around here...

Let us know how that tubing works, especially with the PCX lense... my system uses the Achromat and has nearly no vignetting.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Old Boot

Jim - I'm passionate about achieving LESS DoF with my XM2 . . . Do you have any images of your truly straightforward device?

No moving parts? GREAT!

Best regards,

Grazie
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Old Boot

. . When I mean images, of course I meant the "results" from your camera and setup ..

Thanks - G
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey Grazie...

Check that thread I linked to above -- there's a series of images of the adapter in that thread. Also, here's footage.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:05 AM   #10
Old Boot

JIM! You total STAR! !

First, tell me there is no sound with your vcclip .. . otherwsie I'm gonna need to look behind my amp and PC copnnections - HUH!

Secondly - when the figure is pointing to the wall I can see just HOW shallow the DoF is . . great.

Thridly, you are very very close to a subject . . Do you have any examples where you are something like between 10 to 20 feet away?

I quickly scanned your tute. I think even I can do this! Hah!

Oh yes . . er . . what happens when you put a WD on the fron of this "trunk" - silly question?

TIA,

Grazie
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:38 AM   #11
Major Player

OK...

Added an update to my tutorial at the index.html page, so check that out before diving in to the tut. Here it is.

Secondly, what's a WD? Wide angle?

Thirdly -- for far away shots I have a few grabbed and up. Go here and scroll down to where I say I've posted some outdoor sunny shots.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:58 AM   #12
Old Boot

Yes . .Wide Angle ..

Brilliant Outside shots. Just brilliant!

Love the " .. outside2.jpg" with the bloke starting to walk acrioss the street. - Have you got a JPG which has the DoF the other way around? Background "soft" and the foreground sharp? Again " . . outisde.jpg" is the other way around . . if you got one? Be nice to see the sharpness on something near - with the BG soft.

What an amazing setup!

Grazie
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM   #13
Tourist

Well I'm glad to see this thread has brought together more links and info. Speaking of which, Graham the original links seem to work fine for me.

Jim, I certainly appreciate the work you and others have put into designing and posting tutorials on your adapters.

I started this thread primarily to see if I could find anyone using an original (non "a") dvx100 with a static thorlabs adapter setup. The dvx100 is terrible at close focus and i am wondering if the drop from its 72mm lense to a 52mm size is doable.

Ben
Ben Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM   #14
Old Boot

Jim!

Thank you for the link to the "small" MOV clip!

Downloaded in London .. you've answered the DoF qualities for me . .thanks .. and I'm truly inspired . .again.

I may be able to get the GG machined here in London - for a very short time I used to work in a commercial ophthalmic/optical lab. I maybe able to get the GG achieved. What spec is the finished "surface" in terms of what is needed? Is there such a thing I can "quote" at the lads on the bench?

Best regards,

Grazie
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM   #15
Major Player

Havn't tried a wide-angle, yet. Though, given what I know of optics, so long as it is from the same lens group you've set your flange focal length to, it shouldn't be a problem.

Those are the only shots I've got up and around at the moment. Short of time around here, otherwise I'd post more. Sorry.

As for surface specs -- hmmm... dunno that one. But, finer frost than 3 micron is needed.

edit: oh, and yes -- no sound on that clip.

- jim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods